Best Front Struts for '96 Maxima

My 1996 Maxima needs new front struts according to our local repair shop. They were suggesting OEM however a good friend of mine who is a car fanatic suggested Tokico shocks....

Any ideas? the car has over 110k+ on it and is running strong.

-Sean

Reply to
sbeeg

I'm hoping that your fanatic friend is correct as I just bought a set of Tokico's to install on my 2000 Max.

The best price I found was at

feynmanfan88

Of the ones listed on that website, which model did you buy? HP Series? Please post, thanks. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

BeeP

I went with the HP series because I just need comfortable transportation and am not a weekend racer. They are not installed yet so I can't speak to the ride quality. I'm hoping to get at least the front ones in this weekend and will post my opinion to this NG after the job is done.

Gerry

Reply to
feynmanfan88

They may be saying it, but it might not be true. My '91 has 175,000+ miles and the original struts are working just fine.

Get your car on a flat surface, then push up and down on one side of the front of the car, until you have it going up and down pretty good. Then stop pushing. If the car immediately stops bouncing, and goes back to level, then your struts are just fine.

Try it on both sides. If either side is not working correctly, then get both struts replaced.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

There are other things that can wear too. By the time I had around

100,000 miles on my 95 SE, the strut boots had disintgrated (exposed shaft) and strut bearings were dry (repeated thumping when turning steering wheel at low speed due to spring binding). So I replaced them all around (OEM), even though my car was not yet driving like a pogo stick (or an old Chevy).
Reply to
David Efflandt

I just replaced the original struts on a '96 I30 (same as Maxima, just a little heavier) with KYB RS-2's. I believe they are as close to OEM as you can get, but at a fraction of the price.

Reply to
E. Meyer