Converter lock-up solenoid question

We have an old '87 Maxima, automatic transmission. We start the car. It runs reasonably well. Upon putting it into gear, either drive or reverse, the car lurches briefly, then the engine immediately dies.

We suspected the converter lock-up solenoid was not working. Ran some "click" tests and were mostly unable to hear any clicks (except once, weakly). This lock up solenoid has been giving symptoms of going bad for some time.... lurching at stop lights, etc.

Does anyone have any experience, recommendations with the lock-up solenoid? Just some moral support would be helpful, as we intend to dig into the tranny and see what's going on with it. Anyway to bypass it, like tinkering with the valve body or something? The cheeseball solenoid itself is over $100 dollars!

Reply to
Rod

Also the transmission controller could be suspect. But I don't know how to diagnose it. Try getting a shop manual.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

We did the click tests directly from the leads to the solenoid in the transmission. Furthermore, we tried applying power directly to the leads leading directly into the solenoid in the transmission (bypassing any computer junk). This should have engaged the solenoid, thus disengaging the converter clutch. We still had the same problem upon trying to shift into gear.

Reply to
Rod

Turns out the lock-up solenoid was good. The valve body itself was bad.

immediately

symptoms

Reply to
Rod