Trouble Code P0770 - Transmission Shift Solenoid E Malfunction

OK, looking for some experience or advice. On our 2001 Tundra 2wd SR5 V8 (66,000 miles) we had a couple of unexpected hard downshifts over the last few weeks. Towed our trailer out to the desert last weekend just fine (500 miles total with some 4,000 foot climbs) but after we stopped about 25 miles short of home at a rest stop and restarted we got a check engine light. Experienced a lot of slippage when we backed the trailer into the driveway. Trouble code is a P0770 which reads as a Shift Solenoid E Malfunction (Shift Solenoid Valve SL). Explanation is that the Shift solenoid is stuck open or closed, valve body is blocked up or stuck or there is a problem with the lock-up clutch.

Dropped the pan, pulled the solenoid and it appears to test fine (power on = valve closed, power off = valve open). Appeared to be a minimal amount of fine metal stuck to the magnets, fluid was clean and smelled fine. Looks like the next recommended step is pulling the valve body to check it out but I'm not crazy about spending that much time on it at this time of the year. Of course I fear the $$$ for a dealer repair.

Anyone have a similar experience, outcome to share or recommendations?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Tinker