knock sensor: what real life symptoms would indicate need for a new one?

I am wondering if I should replace my KS. I believe the car was run with low grade fuel for some time and there is a noticeable knock that reaches extreme levels occassionally (for short periods of time..say 15 seconds, usually under acceleration). I realize that there may (probably) also be additional issues, but just wondered if there were actualy symptoms of the KS specifically going bad? It did recently pass the E-Check after a tailpipe test (I had cleared the codes), which really made my day, but the problem remains.

I have read the code issues regarding it. I do have a CEL of 0304 and I believe the other was an EVAP issue. The condition has been around for months now.

96 maxima 130,000 miles

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
lake

Well, 1) I would fix the EVAP code issue first. Knock sensor will show up piggyback with many other emissions codes.

Once I was sure the knock code is of its own source, replace it. The ECU is the final judge as to the performance of a sensor or part.

My symptoms were decreased highway mileage - currently my mileage for mixed driving has increased by about 4mpg slowly over the last couple thousand miles. The engine has more pep - as a 5 speed owner I notice a blip of the throttle with clutch in has no hesitation like it used to. It's also more apt to bite hard if I give a lot of throttle on an exit ramp. The fuel mileage thing may improve further - I suspect I've got bad control arm bushings that cause the car to wander and grind away my front tires. The front tire wear is nauseatingly evident after only 6k.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

At 130K, it's almost certainly time for a new knock sensor. Should get you better performance and a couple MPG, especially if you run 91 octane or better.

Reply to
JimV