Knock Sensor Code

My 1996 Nissan Quest GXE is throwing a knock sensor code and no others, the check engine light doesn't come on and I really don't want to replace it due to the labor involved unless it is the cure. Symptoms: starts when cold and runs relatively smooth until the engine comes up to normal operating temp, then stalls itself out and won't start again for at least 2-3 hours. Is there anything that anyone can think of that could be causing this issue. I have thought about the O2 sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor but have not actually replaced either one. I just want to get the van running reliably to put up for sale. Any similiar experiences and possible fixes welcome.

Reply to
Ted Rasky

The knock sensor won't cause that type of runability problem.

Sounds like you may have a bad distributor or a mass air flow meter problem.

Reply to
NissTech

I was getting a code for the MAF originally, removed and cleaned it, reset the computer and no longer get the code on the MAF. This may be a stupid question, but what would the distributor have to do with the engine sputtering and then stalling only when reaching operating temp?

Reply to
Ted Rasky

Reply to
nucleus

quoted text -

I removed the distributor and cleaned, everything look okay. No carbon, oil or cracks in the cap. Replaced the upstream oxygen sensor. The van actually ran about 10 minutes longer than usual and did not throw any codes, I'm not sure if that means anything or not. I did notice that when the engine finally stalled out that there was some smoke coming from the air filter and I'm not sure what would cause that, but I was thinking that it could be excess fuel that is burning off after the stall. Is there anything else that I should take a look at?

Reply to
Ted Rasky