Not Starting After Warmed Up - Popular 3rd Gen Problem...

There are 4 topics on this subject just on this page. I am also having the same problem. No one in the other threads has either come up with a solution or fixed their problem and come back to say how.

Car starts up fine when cold. After it reaches operating temperature, it will not re-start. Starter is cranking, sometimes accompanied by a rich smell, no spark. Occasionally by flooring the throttle I can get it to start, it runs poorly for around 5 seconds and then runs fine. From my experience throttle position shouldn't have anything to do with starting the car with EFI, but it is making a difference here. I have ruled out the "Engine Control" relay, but am baffled after that.

Anyone have any ideas, or has anyone found a fix?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
JimZ

If the thing smells like it is flooding upon restart after being run may be caused by one or more of the injectors hanging open after the engine has been shut down.

You may want to run an injector leak down test to confirm this problem.

you will need a fuel pressure gauge capable of reading at least 50 psi. and you will also need 2 pair of vice grip pliers.

you want to hang the FP gauge inline on the pressure side of the injectors, the fuel filter is plumed in line on the pressure side, that is the easiest way to identify the pressure side.

next start the car and observe the fuel pressure at idle, it should be around 32-38 psi at idle, next blip the throttle you should see the pressure rise, this is the function of a normal system.

next take the vice grip pliers and pinch off the return side of the injector system, it is the other hose leading away from the injector rail.

the same problem. No one in the other threads has either come up with a solution or fixed their problem and come back to say how.

will not re-start. Starter is cranking, sometimes accompanied by a rich smell, no spark. Occasionally by flooring the throttle I can get it to start, it runs poorly for around 5 seconds and then runs fine. From my experience throttle position shouldn't have anything to do with starting the car with EFI, but it is making a difference here. I have ruled out the "Engine Control" relay, but am baffled after that.

Reply to
NissTech

I'll try this. FWIW, the car has 6 brand spanking new injectors in it.

What exactly is the ignition module - transistor ignition unit?

Reply to
JimZ

Hi,

which 3rd Gen model are you talking about?

Reply to
maximagxe90

It is a transistor that amplifies the signal from the ECU on when to fire the spark plugs through the distributor. I had one fail on a 91 Infiniti G20 that happened when it got up to operating temperature, but only under load like pulling a hill in 5th gear. Acted like a fuel starvation problem but turned out to be electrical. Cheap to fix via the junkyard; way over $100 at the dealer.

Reply to
Monte

Sorry, I should have said.

GXE, VG30E SOHC

Reply to
JimZ

Replaced the coil last night and so far so good. Starts right up. I let it run, took it for a drive, shut it off and started it 4 or 5 times. Fires right up. If it continues to work for the next three days, I'll consider it fixed. Fingers crossed.

I'm hesistant to say the issue is over with because one thing I noticed is that the plug snap on the transistor was broken - like it had obviously been messed with before.

Reply to
JimZ

It's still not starting. It's not the transistor either, I replaced it with a known good one and it did no good.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
JimZ

Can someone tell me where the temp sensor to the ecu is at? And does anyone think that could be the culprit?

Reply to
JimZ