P030x Maxima misfire ignition coil electrical tape

For the last 18 months my 2000 Maxima trouble light has been on. In January I bought some software so I could read the trouble codes. P0301 misfire on cylinder 1. I reset the code and it kept coming back about every 100 miles. This went on for a few months. Then, I switched the coils between cylinder

1 and 3. Sure enough the problem moved to cylinder 3 consistently. I cleaned the suspect coil and stem with a damp rag, then wrapped it tightly with 1 layer of plastic electrical tape from the base of the coil (the squarish structure at the top of the stem) down the stem and over the wider portion that fits over the plug. I wrapped tightly, overlapping just a little to get a good seal. One layer lets it fit back into the plug hole. Viola! It's been a month now with no trouble light lit. I actually saw this solution mentioned in this newsgroup, but I can't find it now.

--DanL

Reply to
Dan