Maxima 2000: diagnostic codes P1320 and P1211, ignition coil failure

On a cold Qu?bec morning, my sister started her Maxima 2000. The engine ran roughly for a few minutes, and then, ran smoothly from that point on. The ®Service Engine Soon¯ light came on.

She drove to a dealership for a diagnostic. They pulled codes P1320 and P1211 (I have not found the meaning of this latter code). Apparently there was no P030x code to point to the offending cylinder.

The service attendant told her that one of the ignition coil was defective, and others could follow. The ECU COULD EVEN BE DAMAGED BY THE FAILURE of an ignition coil!...

Depending on her car to go to work, she heeded the service attendant advice (is it an advice or a high-pressure sales tactic?)! $$$!!

By googling this newsgroup, I became aware that ignition coil failures occur relatively frequently in 5th generation Maximas. Apparently Nissan did not make any recall. The customer has to pay...

Some think that, when it occurs, all six coils should be replaced. Others think that only the defective coil should be replaced.

I know it is difficult to design circuitry involving magnetic components but if the ECU COULD EVEN BE DAMAGED BY THE FAILURE of an ignition coil, that is very BAD ENGINEERING.

Personnally, I think that such a Maxima with a defective ignition coil can be driven at low speed without causing a causing a catastrophic engine failure. What is your opinion?

Thank in advance.

Reply to
Jean Castonguay

You said it: ..."high?pressure sales tactic?)! $$$!!"

Lets not burn our fuses:

- Greed is not local, but GlobAll.

- Greenpees expand greed to GlobAll War-M-UP-ppet$how, we pay that in taxes (here 90%)

Buy one coil from the net, DIY swap. ECU will eventually fry anyway during next 100yrs. Dont worry about what mean men say :)

Reply to
Wiikinki

Hello,

At our dealership we leave it up to the customer if they want to do all 6 or just the 1 coil. Usually a few months later another cylinder code will show up and we replace another coil. I have yet to see an ECM damaged by a bad coil so I don't think your ECM is damaged.

Mark I

Mark Iezzi