Some Maxima fuel economy data. Comments?

Conditions: approx. level road, no or little headwind. Instantaneous MPG data (averaged over a 2 sec interval, actually) vary very rapidly with engine load.

Vehicle: 2005 Nissan Maxima SE V6 AT, premium gas, cold tire pressure

32 psi.

Engine Loading (EL)= % of the max. power currenly being generated. Throttle-Position-setting (TPS)= between 0 (closed) and 100 (full)

Typical values:

65mph, 2012 RPM, 34 mpg, TPS 7, EL 34 75mph, 2350 RPM, 33 mpg, TPS 7, EL 41

Trip average: 103 miles, 70 mph, 25 mpg

I was using the ScanGauge

and the interestingthing is that car tachometer is "faster" that the scangauge tachometer byalmost 300 RPM. I assume the scangauge is the accurate one, as it reads directlyfrom the engine microprocessor.

Reply to
223rem

Now that's a nice cool proper kind of gadget to have for sure.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

You gotta love the example photo of the LCD saying "129mph, 7mpg, 5172rpm". Obviously wasn't attached to a Max for the web images!

Reply to
Pooty Lizard

Why's that? Can't a Maxima hit 129mph? (I honestly don't know).

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

With 265 hp under the hood, the 2005 Maxima better hit at least 150 mph. Probably tops out at 155 mph. My lowly 98 Max SE could do 140.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

It probably will if that's the last thing you ever want it to do!

Reply to
Pooty Lizard

True, but the frontal area is much larger and the coefficient of drag hasn't gone down much if at all to offset that.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

If you'll notice, when the 99 Maxima went to the 2000, the windshield got much more swept back. That also aided aerodynamics. That swept back windshield remained onwards in the newer models, which should offset the increase in frontal area.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

I have had my 95 up to 180KMph for about 1 and a half hours. Didn't see a single cop, and they didn't see me either. Still runs great and I had more to go, I did bursts up to 200. The Cruise control shuts off at 160KMph.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins