1.5d head gasket

I presume that this engine {1.5 diesel} is the same whether fitted to the

106 Peugeot or the Citroen AX, so can anyone offer any advice on the following::-

My AX had to have a new gasket at 50k when the oil gallery joint began leaking badly, blowing oil over the fan belt, timing belt etc. At 101k now, and the engine has started to sporadically throw out a pint or so of coolant on some occasions. Inspection of the expansion tank when the engine is started from cold reveals a series of small bubbles accompanied by a small amount of, what looks like, steam. Even when cold, the coolant is under pressure as this can be felt when removing expansion tank cap.

I am assuming that the head gasket has failed, but would be interested to hear any comments/observations as to whether this is a common failing with these engines and can I expect it to go again in another 50k?

The head wasn't skimmed for the oil leak but the garage reckons to do this for all head gasket/coolant failures.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Thomson

Yes, it is quite common. All the symptoms point to head gasket. I should get the head cracked tested, and if all well, then skimmed. Always renew the timing belt and alternator belt if cracked. Check the water pump for leakage and renew the thermostat.

Reply to
Nigel