1.8 16v 406 petrol rattle

My 406 has recently developed a rattle on acceleration.

It's not audible if the revs are being held constant, but it's really clear when the revs go up. If I pump the gas a few times, it's most apparent. It sounds rather like it's coming from just behind the driver's side firewall.

I've had a brief look inside the engine bay and everything looks (on a cursory inspection) normal. A quick check on t'internet suggest that I'd be best focusing my investigation on the exhaust manifold.

Gut instinct suggests that it is an exhaust issue as it feels just a tad sluggish. The exhaust (Everything after the cat) has recently been replaced; could the cat have blown?

Should I be worried? Is this going to cost me an arm and a leg?

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Check out the crankshaft pulley. It is a known problem and mine went a couple of weeks ago; and that is what it sounded like. They are rubber bonded (or something like that) and start to separate. My mechanic said you could see it was in trouble if you watched with a light when the engine was running. If it is the pulley you can get them for about £90 (£120 from Peugeot).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I'll have a goosey at it.

In the mean time, I've found that if I push the cat upwards towards the exhaust manifold, everything sounds a lot healthier. I suspect that the little collar jobby (there's two springs that look knackered and the seal looks piss-poor) around the cat pipe to manifold join is knackered.

I'll try and find some time over the next few days to replace it... I wonder if GSF Newcastle have got the gaskets in stock?

John

Reply to
John Duffey

A replacement gasket has sorted the trouble.

For those who are thinking of taking on this job - don't.

Unless you've got a lift or a pit, it's not possible. Laying on your back doesn't give you the angle to get into where you need to be. The job for mine was also hampered by the age of the nuts.

After about an hour of swearing, cursing and general ill-temperedness, I gave up and drove the thing to my local National Tyres, were they simply cut the offending bolts off with a blowtorch and replaced them.

Had the job done in half an hour, including the time needed for the exhaust system to cool.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

I am sorry to hear about your aged nuts, comes to us all in the end. ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I'll keep well away from National Tyres in that case - sounds painful! ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson