406 petrol stutters

Hello,

I have a 98 406 glx petrol auto. Recently, when I have started driving the from cold, the car will stutter. The rev needle jumps up and down between 2 and 3k revs even though I keep constant pressure on the accelerator pedal. I though it may be a gearbox problem so I put it into neutral whilst the car was moving and kept my foot on the accelerator. The car stopped the jerking motion, although the rev needle kept flicking between 2/3k.

If I take my foot off the accelerator and then start accelerating, the problem goes away. It's intermittent and only has happened in the mornings.

I think it's a fuel/electrical related problem. Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Al.

Reply to
Al

I had a similar but not identical problem back in August with my 406

3.0 ltr coupe.

My fault was that only from a cold start (not very cold back then) the revs would drop and almost stall the engine. As soon as the engine was running at normal temperature all appeared OK and it took hours of standing before the engine became cold enough for the fault to come back. Of course in winter temperatures the warm up period will be longer and the cool down period shorter therefore the fault would have been much worse.

It was due to a temperature sensor which was faulty. It cost about £20 including Vat. I have seen other posts since august with similar problems which were temperature sensor related and I was asked before where it is located and I am sorry to say that I have no idea because the garage diagnosed the fault and changed the sensor.

Liam

Reply to
Noone

Thanks for the info. Went to a local garage yesterday who wanted 57 quid just to diagnose the problem! Parts and labour on top to fix whatever they found. I don't trust my Peugeot garage so need to find someone soon!

Cheers, Al.

Reply to
Al

I have that problem and am still plucking up courage to take it into a Peugeot dealer

Reply to
John Hollinshead