205 1.6 GTI + unleaded

Hi,

I normally use LRP in mt Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI (1989: XU5JA) This petrol is getting harder to obtain. Can I run on unleaded (say 95 octane) without modification. If not what is the best course of action. I tend not to drive on motorways or tow.

Thank

Andy (UK driver)

Reply to
Andy

Hi with a 205 GTi 115 (XU5JA), you must used 98 or 95 with an ignition adjustement

Reply to
Détuning-man

Hello,

From memory, 2° retarding.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Actually 3 degrees!! Check your VIN number and there should be the following sequence of numbers in it.

741C66 20CB62
Reply to
Nigel

got 20CB62 but not 741C66

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hello,

Normal, as 741xxxx models were Mk1 205s (83-88). Post-88 cars code begins by

20 (new dashboard, deflector on tailgate).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Sorry, I should have said "one" of the following sequence of numbers!!! OK to take 95 you need to retard the ignition 3 degrees.

Reply to
Nigel

I don't understand how retarding the ignition can protect the valve guides. If they are soft, then they are soft. I can see how adding an additive would protect them, but then I wouldn't need to retard the ignition, and possibly effect the performance of the car.

Some mechanics that I have spoken to tell me that I can just use 95 without adjustment. I expect they mean that I should drive a bit more carefully (keep the speed down and avaid motorways).

If I can get acces to LRP what about filling the tank with 95, then on every third fill use LRP?

I am a bit confused about the best course of action. While I can get LRP I'll continue to use it, despite its higher price.

Thanks

Andy -- All responses to the newsgroup please

Reply to
Andy