205 1.6 GTi engine into 306

Will it go?

I've got a 205 1.6 GTi engine waiting to go into a peugeot that's done just over 30k and I was wondering if it'd go into a 306?

Maybe a 306 XSi? or infact.. what else would it go into? The engine was from a '96 205 GTi.

Any help is appreciated on the subject.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Hi,

'96 GTi ? 1.6 in addition ? Damn I thought they stopped them in 1994.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Why would you want to ?

And lower the power output ? Why ?

Reply to
Nom

Ah, I realised after I wrote it that it wasn't 96, I think it's 93.

Anyway, the reason for the transplant isn't for power, speed, etc it's because the engine is sat on my drive with low miles and there's a cheap 306 xsi with a blown engine near me.. it's like shrove tuesday.. when people put all the ingredients into a pancake to get rid of all the food before lent...

I was just wondering if it would go, and if anyone's done/seen it.. and if there's anything to consider, just doing my homework. Because I presume the brakes, cooling, etc won't have to be uprated due to the drop in power.

But is there a weight issue? Loom problems? Ecu, Clocks.. any suggestions? Would it be a pretty straight forward swap over?

Come to think of it... what cars does the 205 1.6 GTi engine fit into (don't say a 205 GTi :p )?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Reply to
Ryan

Well its an XU engine, so it should fit into an XU engined 306. But I'd reckon a lot of the wiring would be different (at a guess), and it could turn into a right pig of a job.

If you wanted it to drop staight in your best bet is a 309, a 405 or a BX i'd say. As they're all the same generation, so the likelihood of it going in without any issues is a lot greater!

My advice is find a 205 GTi or 309 SRi/XSi/GTi with a knackered engine (weeping valve stem seals lead to smokey cars at a cheap price) and put it in that and save yourself some hassle! Or save yourself even more and stick the engine on ebay!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They did discontinue the 1.9 in 1994 because of new emmission standards, but 1.6 was continued until the end of the 205, although it was in a reduced power form (could have been the addition of a cat).

I presume you want to do this because the older engines don?t have loads of electronics and are generally more powerful :? Stick to the pre 94 (before emmsion standards changed) and post 86 (when they were fitted with the head from the 1.9).

Reply to
Streltsky