205 radiator cover and fan

I`ve put a mess grill on my car today and was a little shocked to see that the radiator cover only had one fan fitted in it...?

I can only find one of these for sale on ebay and its the same as mine...? does that mean they are all like it ?

My car dosn`t run hot but would it run better if i fitted a 2nd fan to it .?

Thanks

Reply to
Paulinho

It's normal :) every 205 and 309 has one fan, couse 2 fans were made only for Mi16 Engines and for 405 engines. The cover is the same in all models :) So don't be shocked :)

greets

Reply to
ChlewioR

I know the high performance models (1.9 GTi and my Dturbo ;)) had twin fans, but maybe the relatively slow 1.6GTi didnt need them ;)

Seriously though if you gonna be doing track days/hill climbs in your car it's probably a good idea to put in the second fan, and maybe an over-ride switch for good measure. Especially if you're planning on doing events of the summer months! Prevention is better than cure and all that jazz

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I agree, it seems like a lot of XU-engined models all had the same radiator and cover, but only one fan was deemed necessary on most models. IIRC, most diesel XU-engined cars had the two fans. On my old Peugeot 305 with a 1905cc XU engine (originally fitted with a Solex carb before I 'messed' with it), the radiator is considerably smaller than every newer car I've seen with an XU engine (it has the old 305 radiator that was fitted to the XR-engined

305's - which in turn is a throwback from the 304!). Whilst it never overheats, the fan comes on very quickly when in traffic or when parking. I think at the end of the day you have to look at the characteristics of your own engine & how hot it's getting. If mine can *just about* keep cool with a smaller radiator and one fan, then a bigger radiator is gonna keep things that bit colder with or without the extra fan. However, if you drive with a lead foot and the fan is always on when you stop, it's probably time to think about another fan! IIRC, the two fan option had a system where one fan or both could switch on, depending on how hot it got?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

The good thing about the 205 Dturbo is that it shares many parts with its sportier cousins, so its all built rather strong compared to something like the similar performing petrol XS. Never really paid much attention to how the fans work, but it sounds like a small hurricane when you're sat in traffic for a while :) Unlike the XS the fan is hardly ever on when you get home either (in fact the XS used to run on for 5 mins after a 'spirited' drive).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello,

You forget all 205/309 D & TD (twin fan as standard), and petrol 405 only had 1 fan (excepted perhaps for some export destinations).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

The CTi (1.9) has twin fans. But I never hear them work, no matter what I do to the car. Since temperature values read OK under all circumstances, I assume that the radiator is large enough or the fans are the whispering type :-) I never do much stop and go, more long distance at decent speeds.

Cheers

Norman

Reply to
Norman Anthes

A lot of info ( thanks ) i will try and get one soon and fit it... I guess i could just join it onto the wires going to the other one, or like you said fit a switch inside for it..?

Reply to
Paulinho

If you're just gonna wire them together, better do it in parallel or you'll have two fans running at half their correct speed - and best check the fuse on that circuit to make sure it'll take the extra load, although I don't suppose it would be a problem.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

When you say in parallel.. do you mean two feeds from the source... ie battery with a switch...? or two wires taken from the back of the other one...?

Reply to
Paulinho

Sorry, I was being a bit stupid. It'd probably be much harder for you to wire it up any other way than parallel! Just splice some extra wires in off the back of the other one, that'll be fine. Still, as I said earlier in the thread, I think the 'proper' dual fan radiator can switch the fans independantly, although I'm going from a hazy memory and I'm not sure what the advantages would be.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Thanks for the info.... i will let the group know as soon as i do it !

Reply to
Paulinho