205 Starter Motor

Hi Guys, I have a 1991 1.1 petrol 205 and I think the solenoid on the starter is sticking now and again . It looks well tucked away at the back of the engine so how easy is it to get out and will I be able to dismantle and clean up the solenoid on this model ? Thanks Morris

Reply to
Morris

It is possible that you have a fault on the ignition switch, or the wire to the solenoid from the switch. I have twice cured the problem you describe by adding a relay to this circuit, so that the current required by the solenoid doesn't have to go through the switch. Any cheap automotive 30 Amp relay will do, cost me about £4.00. You can prove this is the problem (if you can get to the terminals on the solenoid) by bridging from the heavy battery terminal to the small spade one from the switch. If this activates the solenoid reliably, then you do indeed have a wiring or switch problem, basically a high resistance joint somewhere, which the relay will cure.

Reply to
Brian