1993 Mercury Sable starter

In case anyone was reading my earlier posts, I originally thought the problem with the neutral safety switch, but, I replaced that and I still have the problem..

I have a 1993 Mecury Sable LS Wagon with a 3.8L engine. The starter is indeed bad because if I tap it a few times with a screw driver, it'll start right up, so, obviously, it has to be replaced.

My question is does the starter used on a 1991 Ford Taurus GL Wagon work on the Mercury. I know they're about the same car, but I've noticed minor differences on some of the parts (well, only the safety switch, and it only had a different electrical connector) and if the starter off the Taurus is the same as what's on the Mercury, I'd like to go ahead and switch them and save myself a nice wad of cash.

I'd be replaceing everything, starer and solenoid, if it's not too complicated.

-Jay

Reply to
Jay

dont know if they are the same, but if they are both 3.8 ford/mercury engines then they should be... do a search for a start for both on

and
and see if they use the same part number for both the sable and the taurus... if so they they are the same... but if you can take it off and check it out you can probalby just replace bad part like the selenoid or the contacts in the starter??? hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Jay, before you spend the money have a good look at the ignition wire to the starter. It's the small diameter red wire with the stake-on connector. These connections have been a common failure point for Fords. I've had to fix them on both my Sables and my '96 Ranger. A few years back I experienced the same no start symptoms as you are and had the starter replaced. The trouble returned shortly after. While I was under the car I noticed the new starter came with a sticker (a big one) advising that this wire is more likely the cause of no start problems than a bad starter. Have a look before plunking down any dough.

mike

Reply to
Michael