306 Engine

Not sure if anyone knows this, but I have a single point injection (carberettor) 1.4 306 at present. Is it feasible to swap out that whole engine and dump a 306 1.6 engine in. Only a years different in the age of the engine, so it should be roughly the same size etc.

Also, does anyone know how much a mechanic would roughly charge to do this work and replace a gear box at the same time. How many hours labour roughly?

Thanks

Reply to
Oliver

A bit of a pointless swap if you ask me. I'm not too sure, but the engines may be different in design (1.4 a TU, 1.6 an XU?), so it wouldnt even be a straight swap if that was case. Its doable in a day without problems, but lots of money, i'd take a stab in the dark at £500, for very little gain (a bit more torque and 15 extra horsies).

An easier and cheaper bet would be o source and multipoint injection head, and stick that on (bit extra torque and 25 more horsies). Or just buy a better 306, as i'm pretty sure the 1.4s are basic in all departments.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hi Carl,

I'd have said so if someone ever asked me.

They are. TU3M for 1.4i 75HP SPI (Marelli ECU), XU5 (J?) for 1.6, with a Motronic ECU, IIRC. And that's my second point : big wiring loom work - I mean, swap both.

My conclusion is similar to yours : try to find & buy a 1.6 instead. Moreover I tend to think with French laws & rules in mind - I know I shouldn't here.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

How can I go about taking the Multipoint Injection bit off an old 306?

Cos i've seen some down a scrap yard...is it a hard job?

Surely if I used a multi injection head, I would need another ECU?

Reply to
Oliver

Then again it might just mean changing the engine mountings.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

i believe you can have ecu reprogrammed to give 1.6 power at Ecosse

Reply to
SimonDS

the 1.4 and 1.6 engines are completely different, therefore the gearbox will not match up, and even if you find a gearbox to go with it, you will have to replace the driveshafts......... you will need a replacement wiring loom if you are going the multi-point route since there isnt the facility to connect the injectors and air flow meters etc etc...of course this will indeed require a replacement ecu to match... better to leave the vehicle as it is, sell it and buy what you want.........

Reply to
steve

Take off rocker cover, undo headbolts, lift off (well near enough). But you will also need the ECU. Although i think you'll have to nick it off a 106

If you're a novice, then yes!

Indeed you will, probably the loom too. Not a massively complicated loom (relatively), but takes a bit of time.

Doesnt sound like you'll be doing the job yourself, so it will probably work out very expensive for little gain. Probably easier just buying a 1.6 or above. A TD might even be better for you.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

There's a nice Alfa Romeo 3 litre V6 going on ebay for under £300, might just grab that! lol

192Bhp...beats my 75! :)
Reply to
Oliver