306 Headlights flashing

Hi
Very early this morning we noticed our 1998 306 Cabriolet's headlights were flashing. I unlocked it with the remote, checked that both doors
and the boot were properly shut. The alarm LED on the dash was flashing quickly indicating that the alarm had been triggered. When I locked it with the remote and pressed the smaller button to deadlock it - the headlight started flashing again very soon after.
I tried just locking it with the remote without the second press for deadlock and the lights don't flash. The siren or horn isn't sounding - just the flashing h/lights. We just had the n/s front wing and front bumper replaced and I'm thinking this is too much of a coincidence as it was OK before it went in.
I've had a look on the google news group search and although 306 alarms seem to be unreliable, I haven't read of this specific problem.
Any ideas what's going on please. Could it be the fact that it was very cold here last night and that somehow triggered the ultrasonic sensors?
Many thanks
Steve
Newsonline wrote:

[snip alarm woe]
Could be a door sensor has been stuck in one position and the alarm has recognised this as an attempted break in. I had a similar problem after my car had been locked manually as the battery was out, when the battery was replaced the alarm thought the door which had been locked manually had been tampered with and it flashed the lights etc. The sounder may also be switched off as well.
HTH
--
Martin:
"For a minute there, you bored me to death."

has
after
battery
manually
may
Many thanks for the suggestions Martin. I'll take a look this w/e at the sensors and sounder. I don't trust main dealers or alarm outfits plucked dealers from Yellow Pages always give the best advice or diagnosis, so it's good to hear a genuine answer.
Best
Steve