405 GTX stuttering engine help req'd

I have a 1995 405 GTX with 180,000 miles on the clock. The car has recently developed a very annoying intermittent fault. When pulling away from a junction (ca. 2,000 rpm) or even driving along at 20-30mph the engine appears to stutter and cut out for a fraction of a second, it tends to be worse when the engine heats up however this isn't a rule.

I have trawled through this NG and it appears that I have some options to try: distributor and rotor MAP sensor Lambda sensor

Does anyone have a definitive yes/no for any of these?

Reply to
Martin

MAP and Lamba sensor faults will be stored in the engine management system. Download the codes (Gunsons adaptor from halfords, about £20) to check. Dizzy cap may have a crack? otherwise look for possible bad contacts/wiring chafed perhaps.

Good luck Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When were the sparking plugs last changed? You have the classic symptoms of plugs that are either past their best before date or have gaps that are too wide (or both). It may be other things of course, but check plugs first.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I tried the gunsons kit however it does not do work, I have read that the codes can be accessed via the K-light on the dash however it is not clear how to start the scan.

Reply to
Martian

I suspect it did not work because you did not find the correct point to connect it to. It took me a while too! Mine is inside a plastic box under the bonnet on the drivers side It has a few relays inside and a couple of floating connectors. It is one of these you need. I can't remember which one as I re-discover it each time! My 405 in a 95 GLX - XU7 engine You do need to find this wire anyway as it has to be connected to ground for a few seconds to start the error download irrespective of whether you use the gunsons LED to read the codes or sit inside and read them off the ECU light on the dash.

Hope this helps

Bob

BTW, the gunsons unit needs to be used with the ignition on but the engine stationary.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yep, all of the above done however no joy whether a few seconds or longer. I suspect the ecu may be a later model which does not allow this, it was one of the last GTX models to be manufactured.

Reply to
Martin
[snip]

Plugs gapped, problem sorted. Thank you.

This message was brought to you by Pinot noir homebrew.

Reply to
Martian