306 reliability

HI All.

I am thinking a buying a 306 possibly a 1.6 or a 1.8, the new shape model, so around a T reg. I am concerned about the reliability of Peugeots in general compared to other model. I get the impression that they are more unreliably that cars from other manufactures, or are the newer models better? Is there any models or years of manufacture to avoid?

I don't want a car that is unreliable so I am also considering a Golf, but I much prefer the look of the 306. I think a lot of cars now look so bland.

I would appreciate any information on 306 reliability.

Thanks in advance.

Den.

Reply to
Den

Top notch car, even though mines a old skool 1993 model, I still think the

306 is one of the best cars around!

I have no idea why they decided to discontinue it, such a shame!

Realibility of my car has been excellent, started first time everytime for the year I've had it (all of last winter and coming up for another!) and I have a 1.4l with 108000 on the clock...so that should give you some idea!

Reply to
Oliver

My 406 has never ever failed to start or has let me down once. Starts first time, its on 158k miles. Its the same with any car, if u look after it, it will go forever.

Reply to
Cheater2k

I have a V reg 306 1.8 16v GLX for 18 months and have covered 30,000 miles. The only problems I have had are a leaking A/C pipe, a driver's seat that became loose and a replacement battery.

I can't really fault the performance and handling of this car and the comfort is very good. Recently I have been travelling 120 miles a day and I have had no back problems, unlike the 307 which I find particularly uncomfortable.

The car has now covered 80,000 miles and I cannot see why it wouldn't go on for another. My only gripe is the crap audio system which they bundle, I overcame this with a new head unit and front speaker upgrade.

TBH, I don't think you'll find a Golf to be any more reliable than a 306. My friend bought a new 1.6 SE a couple of years ago and it has been back to the garage at least 6 times, once for a new gearbox.

I would have another 306 without a doubt, however as this is a company car, I will be forced into having a 307 next time round.

Unfortunately if you want total reliability you would almost certainly have to go with something Japanese.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick (UK)

my 2000 1.4 306 Premium Break hasn't failed yet! it's almost 4 years old and so far so good. i'm considering getting a 1.6 307 SW not because it's just a better car (i was told it's less confortable than the 306). for what i know, if you take care of the car - just like with any car - it'll go on for years and years. did you know peugeot's old nickname is the "car of africa"? i suppose the name relates to the fact of the cars going on well even with poor serviciability.

talking about unreliability, if you mean the alfa 33 or the morris marina i had...

"Cheater2k" escreveu na mensagem news:boq0js$11o$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Jean-Jacques Pardete

I'm still going strong in my 1360cc 205 with 130k miles on the clock.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hi all.

Thanks for all your replies. I wanted some positive stories because I can't think of a car, of that size, that looks as good. I prefer it over the 307 which looks too much like a people carrier.

Cheers Den.

Reply to
Den

Yea i'm not a 307 fan....

FWIW - my 405 is a 1.6i, early 1993 and has done 92,000. I've had it 18 months. It needed a new starter motor, a hose perished (these things i both put down to its 10 years of age :) ) and it started to leak a bit of coolent. Both were cheap to fix. The radiator needed replacing as well, but it was cracked, not rusted or owt, so you can't really blame the car for that one.

Other than that its lovely :)

Reply to
Dan405

My 306 break 1.9D from 2001 is still running ok with no problems. Go for the break, much more comfort and roadstability. The 306 is technically the same as the Citroen Xsara, my previous company car was an Xsara 1.9D, also never problems with this car. The Xsara is in the top 10 of the most reliable cars here in the Netherlands.

cheers, Sohail

"Den" schreef in bericht news:bornu0$p6a$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com...

Reply to
VTR16V

i have had 2 a 306 1.9 D and the one i have now 1.9 TD the best cars i have had if looked after will last years kev

Reply to
Kevin Davis

Definition of unreliable in Oxford English dictionary is

Unreliable - Ford

So many ppl have had one and had problems

Anybody wanna change a clutch on a diesel vauxhall vectra?

scott

Reply to
scott

the 306 shares more on common with the citreon zx than the Xsara. Same running gear and engine.

Reply to
SimonDS

The 306, Xsara and the ZX are all very similar, except the current Xsara now has multiplex wiring. The older Xsara and 306 were practically identical, same drivetrain for sure, similar suspension, just in my opinion the Xsara interior is far better.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Cowell

Scott.

FORD is an acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily

I have an Escort at the moment and it feels like I am driving a big sponge around. It skates around all over the place.

Reply to
Den