Reliability of Hyndai Sonata

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2007 Hyundai Sonata (V6 engine). I have never owned a Hyundai but read positive things about their cars. Here's my dilemma- I would love to hear from owners about how a Hyndai Sonata performs after it has a few years on it compared to how the car performed when new. I think most manufacturer's cars today drive well when new, but some age sooner compared to the Japanese cars (IMHO).

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I have a '06 LX with 40,000. Had it for 27 months. It has been stellar. Absolutely love this car. My only complaint is the leather is too light. Hard to keep it clean. My brakes are starting to have a slight squeak.

Reply to
Rob

I have an '07 with 24,300 miles. Not a problem yet. Never been back to the dealer.

I used to switch between my two cars but since I've had the Sonata, I never take the Buick.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My '02 GLS (bough Nov. 20010) is going strong with 83k and I have not had one single problem with it mechanically. I have done regular maintenance per the schedule and it's been an overall stellar experience. I have had some paint coming off the door handles but they're plastic so it's kind of expected.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Ken wrote in news:1192552562.533504.214710 @i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

2006 Sonata GLS V6. I just turned 32,000 miles today. Purchased on 9/28/05. I've had it to the dealer once for a TSB on the ATX for the downshift from 5-2. Other than that, nothing really but oil changes. I had the brake squeak before and that turned out to be a need for grease on the caliper bolts. I have the squeak again and it is likely the same issue. The pads are still fine.

Simply put, so far it is the best car I personally have ever owned.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I can't speak to the V-6 as I have the four-banger, but overall the car has been very reliable. I haven't been back to the dealer yet for anything significant (I just rolled over 29,000 miles on my 06 Sonata). They tried to find the snapping noise in the cowl/windshield, but were unsuccessful. So, other than that noise when the car is cold, it has been nearly flawless from a manufacturing perspective.

It has some annoying design issues, but the assembly quality appears to be outstanding. The car performs the same today as when new.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

My '06 LX has 56000 miles on it, and it drives like the day we bought it. Nice car.

Reply to
Darby OGill

changer. Had to be replaced twice.

Reply to
Marc

Ken wrote in news:1192552562.533504.214710 @i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I bought a used (by Hertz) 2005 V6 automatic Sonata. It had 17K miles on it when I bought it and I have put about 35K more (mostly highway). It has not needed anything other than regular oil changes.

I really like it. I have not looked at the newer models but I am assuming they are no worse and the next time I am looking for a car, I will definitely check out Hyundai's models first.

Sinan

Reply to
A. Sinan Unur

My 06 V6 Sonata required 2 TSB's, not surprising on a new model, and fixed on the 07. It's been great, and has no squeaks or rattles at 21K miles. We're more than satisfied, and feel like we stole the car. You'll love the V6. It's jet smooth from idle up to redline.

-

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I have a 2003 Sonata with 6cyl engine, 53,000 miles and had no problems at all - great car rr

Reply to
Reinhold Radke

Ken

Have a 2002 Sonata. It has been a pretty good car. Have received better reliability and longevity from Honda. They also have better feel to drive. Hyundai America refused to repair my brakes under the bumper-to-bumber warranty even though the car was still covered.

The positive is: with 75,000 miles on the car it is still our main car and I hope to drive it 150,000 miles. Expect it will be junk by then if it makes it. Honda's last 200,000 miles.

The Hyundai's are a little less expensive to purchase initially. Resale on Hyundai's really sucks so do not total out the car and plan on driving it a long time.

Next time I will buy Honda because I think the Hyundai's are about the same quality as Ford and GM. Also, they use oddball battery sizes and very expensive transmission fluid only available from the dealer.

Good luck, it is a difficult decision.

Reply to
southluke

Interesting. How could you have experienced better longevity from the Honda when you're still driving the Hyundai?

I'm not sure why you'd expect it to be junk by 150,000 miles. There are plenty enough of them out there that aren't. Most every car today will go

200,000 - that's certainly nothing unique to Honda.

Yup - a down side if either you total the car or are accustomed to trading regularly. The hit is not as bad as it used to be, but the resale value is not as good as some might wish it were.

Agreed on the tranny fluid, but the battery is a common aftermarket item.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Did you read your waranty manual?

Normal wear on brakes is rarely covered under any manufacturers' bumper-to-bumper warranty.

The 2007 language (not unique to Hyundai or 2007) reads in part:

"Normal maintenance items (#) are warranted in normal service, only when replacement is the result of a defect in material or factory workmanship, for 12 months from the date of original delivery or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. .....

# - such as belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings,..........."

Again this is common across the industry.

Reply to
DonC

Every single one of them?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My 84 Accord didn't even make 80,000 miles before the engine had to have a top-end replacement.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

message

Reply to
razz

That is the same problem I had. My 84 Accord had the cam lobes and rocker arm pads self destruct at 70,000 miles. Had to replace the cam and full set of rockers, but no way could I ever get all of the crud out of the engine so I traded it as soon as it was repaired on a new 89 Plymouth Acclaim. That vehicle was rock solid and ran 146,000 miles with zero engine problems ... and then my wife hit a deer and totaled it.

What year was your Accord?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
razz

I'm having the same problem. It doesn't happen when I hit the brakes though, it happens when the car is moving. A high pitched squeaking coming from the wheel (in front) It only started after I had the brake pads and rotors replaced. Grease the bolts, huh? I'll tell my mechanic. He thought it may be the struts when he heard it. I thought it was maybe a wheel bearing but he said no way. He said if it was a bearing it would be more of a grinding sound. Did you have to remove the entire caliper bolts and grease them? Thanks for the info.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews