307 110 HDI grinding sound when cold

Hi,

My 307 SW HDI 110 has started making a strange grinding/rumbling sound when cold. I noticed it when pulling out of a car park and I thought there was a branch under the car or the plastic cover under the engine had dropped off and was dragging. It sometimes makes the noise when stationairy and out of gear also. It usually doesn't do it when the car just started but withing 10-50secs. I've noticed turning the air con on or lights can make it work. The sound only lasts for a short while, no more than 1 minutes and doesn't occur again until the car is started from cold.

Once I caught it making the noise I had time to open the bonnet. It sounded like the noise was coming from the area around the belt driving the alternator. I noticed when the noise was being made that the tensioner on the belt moved around a lot more !

I popped the car into a peugeot garage to get the crankshaft pulley checked as I'd heard that these can give way. They had a quick look and said it looked find and the belt tension was fine. The engine sounded fine when they looked because the car was warm.

Any idea's ?

Reply to
swebb99

Replace the belt tensioner which i think you will find that is the problem..also replace the drive belt at the same time.

Reply to
Chrs

I would go for the pulley personally. Any signs of metal filings around the cover adjacent to the pulley?

Reply to
Nigel

I had a grinding sound from my 406 HDI, it turned out to be the alternator bearings destroying themselves. New alternator and all was well again. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Thanks for the idea's guys. I've had to drop the car into the garage again. Last night on the motorway I could here a clicking like a relay in the glovebox, it clicked every now and again very quickly on/ off(??) at the same time I noticed the front lights gave a flicker like they were either being dipped or turned off for a fraction of a second. It only seemed to do this about 70 and below that the clicking stopped.

The grinding noise now only seems to happen when the car is moving in gear or out and still only when cold.

I've asked the garage to check out both problems, they may be related.

As for the Pulley the first time I took it in they had a quick check for metal fillings and didn't find any.

Puzzled :(

Hopefully they will spot something today when they start the car from cold.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
swebb99

if they start it from cold ?or get some kid that starts it and dont listen for the noises

Reply to
Chrs

Yes well they tried it this afternoon and didn't hear anything so I'm going over tomorrow morning to see if I can show them what the problem is !

Reply to
swebb99

Typical went to the garage this morning to demo the problem and it didn't do it, well hardly, not enough to really track it down, just heard a few slight clicks and knocks which from under the bonnet sounded like the alternator ... arrrggggg

Seems the be worse the colder it is, which makes me think is bearing related.

Reply to
swebb99

they had the car in the garage overnight?

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

Yes because they wanted to run it from stone cold. There was a small noise for a short time but nothing like the racket it sometimes makes.

Reply to
swebb99

It sounds like a alternator bearing, when it gets hot it will make a very loud noise,getting ready to go BANG.remove the fan belt and start the engine up to see if the noise has gone.if not it could be water pump? good luck finding it ..

Reply to
Chrs

Been offline for a bit, so I may be too late to answer this. What year is the 307? They changed the crankshaft pulley early on (pre

52 reg), and the new type does not disintegrate, it is very similar to the XUD type, you know the type I mean Chris???? Anyway, this type also has a different alternator pulley with some sort of freewheel device built into it. I understand that this can give up, and cause noise. This could also affect the drive to the alternator, which in turn could cause relay issues. The tensioners normally don't give a problem on this model. Brian.
Reply to
Brian

Yes after many times trying too get one,then getting one and finding out it was the wrong one,but in the end i got one and replaced it with out any problem ,(just got to do the fan belt up a little bit more as it makes bit of noise first thing)well i hope it is the fan belt lol lol

Reply to
Chrs