307 sound system

Just got a 307XSi (UK model) - 6 months old.

Great car, but somewhat disappointed with the sound system. OK, its got a 5 CD autochanger, but if I 'crack up' the volume to anything above level 7 and give it some BASS, the speakers distort massively and there's some serious vibrating noise from the doors.

I wonder if the previous owner might have blown a speaker? Please, anyone with this car - put in some Craig David, up the volume to 7 or 8, BASS to about 7 and setting LOUD ON and tell me if yours does the same!

Thanks.

Toby.

Reply to
BT News

Try adding some new speakers. Sony make 17 cm speakers that fit PSA cars perfectly. Ben

Reply to
Ben Cowell

Craig David?! I will never do such a thing :)

Anyway, 307 - teething problems aside (of which my better half has had only a few), great car, but the sound system and acoustics are absolutely phenomenal...ly crap.

If you replace the head unit, I think it will need to be 'programmed in' to the multiplex system (confirm anyone?). Also, if the speakers are replaced, put some padding in behind the panelling in the doors as then sound won't rattle around dead space.

Any other suggestions anyone?

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

I have a 307 rapier with the same problem. It was like it from new. This is a common problem with 307's. My car is just over 1 year old now and has been in twice over the year to try and fix this problem. It still hasn't been fixed and doesn't look like it will. You may find the following link useful with regards to other 307 problems.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Sorry forgot to put the link on other post.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

you can just replace the RD3 OEM headunit, but if the multifun. display keeps being lit up your dealer has to reprogram the car so it knows theirs rd3 present no more.(because the car doesnt see the radio no more it thinks its a error) first you need to replace the speaker with some good speakers, then make the doorpanels sounddead by using sounddamping stuff like dynamat or what they use for flatt roofs; bitumen works the same.

Reply to
axl

With most car, they will try to put the cheapest sound speakers possible, since you wont get to see when looking at the car even the head unit itself is of good brand (to show off the car), and usually the first thing to get replace is the speakers. If you repacing it try get decent one and dont go stinchy on the price because you end up replacing crapy one with another crapy one.

But if you want good loud bass you would need amp and subwoofer set up. (those midrange woofer will get distorted if you pump anymore bass into it)

Reply to
voxDEI

If you going to change OEM head unit, you wont get the external display and control stalk, dont have to reprogram the BSI because the display still work for time, trip computer etc etc but the part where display the CD & radio will just stay blank. To use these two with after market HU i got Sony HU and a adapter which work perfectly fine.

Reply to
voxDEI

Do you know if replacing speakers invalidates the manufacturers warranty in anyway?

Reply to
BT New

Apparently Peugeot do a replacement rear parcel shelf complete with two speakers for the 307 - at £200 it seems pricey given you could arm yourself with a decent set of speakers for the same money. Anyone know anything of this?

Reply to
BT News

Blaupunkt, make speaker replacements ideally suited to the 307. My experience is that preplacing the speakers makes a big difference. Replacing the pug's 'head unit' (radio, manufactured by either VDO or Clarion) is problematic - will stop the computer from displaying radio data and also stops the steering column remote control. When Blaupunkt finally get around to producing an adapter harness for their range, I'll be first in line to buy one. By the way, I love my car, and after almost two years of use have had no problems.

Thanks. Edwin.

Reply to
Edwin Rogers