Sound system upgrade - Monsoon?

Hi.

Can the sound system be upgraded Later with the Monsoon sound system?

What exactly is the Monsoon sound system? Upgrade stereo And speakers or just speakers?

Is it worth it? Various discussions on Net groups state that it's not worth it and one should try Other brands!

Thanks.

Mz

Reply to
Mz

You didn't mention the year / model, but I know in the past Monsoon systems have used amplifiers at the speakers in some (all?) locations. If that is the case with your car, doing the upgrade later would mean lots of work and probably high prices for the components you need to buy from the dealer.

If you want to upgrade, you are probably better off gett>

Reply to
Randolph

The Monsoon involves adding an additional amp, speakers and wiring harness which can be done but to costly to do after you purchased the car. In fact the same radio is used in both systems being the only difference the internal coding which can be done with the 5051,etc.

Reply to
Woodchuck

My friend's '02 Jetta has Monsoon. It's nice and pretty good but the factory speakers still get ovewhelmed pretty easily.

Reply to
Matt B.

The Monsoon system adds a 200 watt amp, and an 8 point Monsoon speaker system with specific crossovers. Monsoon set up the system so that the rear mid-bass speakers act as low-range mids. The system is decent as far as "budget" Premium systems go, but you can do much better in the aftermarket. I upgraded the headunit in my GTi, and found out quickly how poor the Monsoon speakers were. If you opt for the Monsoon system, you should either be commited to keeping it, or replacing it entirely when you get sick of it.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I have been thinking of upgrading the speakers in my 01 GTI. I have the Monsoon system. Will I see much improvement by only swapping the speakers? My complaint is that there is just no low's or high's. Its all very mid range and muddy. I want to add a bit more punch to it.

Reply to
philt2112