405 mpg

hi

i am recently getting poor mileage from my 405 1.9 td is there a easy way of establishing what is causing it or could there be various factors

tia

Reply to
chris

What mileage ar you getting from it ??i have a 405 and i put =A310 of diesel in and getting about 100-150 miles .(no heavy foot)

Reply to
Chris

if your getting 100 to 150 miles on 10 quid of diesel I would say you are doing bloody well as diesel is around £1.30 a liter which is works out as 4.546 liters to the gallon UK so at £1.30 a liter for £10 you get 7.69 liters,or £5.90 a gallon therefore if you are only putting in £10 then that only 1.69 gallons so if out of that you are getting 100miles then that works out at 59.17 MILES PER GALLON, or if you can stretch that to 150 miles out of £10 or 1.69 gallons then that

88.7 MILES PER GALLON if its the latter that you are getting then I would suggest that you keep the car for ever, or your odometer is way out .

GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

You're right. It's an impressive result.

Reply to
malc

I think Chris omitted to tell us that his car is fitted with pedals and a windsail. I average about 44 mpg with a 02 406. I did manage to get 48 on a trip from Winchester to Liverpool last year.

Bryan UK Winchester

Reply to
Bystander

hi

update i am getting about 46 miles with £10 of diesel which is crap this has only just started to be noticeable so any advise would be welcome, i have put some redex in the tank to see if this would help

chris

Reply to
chris

I dont use a heavy foot when driving,also i change the oil plus all the filter every 4th month, which helps in running,they say if you look after the engine the engine will look after you. in my case that is true.

Reply to
Chris

heavy foot or not I am 100% sure that you are not getting 88.7 MPG, no matter even if you changed the oil and filters on a daily basis. Unless your journey is always down hill with a following wind and you switch off and free wheel down it, but then that would mean an uphill journey all the way back. GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

I get 44 to 48 mpg from current 405 TD and the last one. Might do a bit better with a lighter foot, but only a bit.

Reply to
Wichita

That's pretty close to my 406 HDI 110 which gives 47mpg irrespective of how or where it is driven. i.e. a heavy foot or town driving make absolutely no difference, still averages 47 and has done since it was built in '99.

Reply to
Keith W

Eh? I can tell you for sure that a constant speed of 100mph in a 110 HDi results in fuel economy below 30mpg...

Reply to
Doki

Admitted I dont gallop at 100mph but before I retired I did a lot (30K per year) of mainly motorway driving and since I retired at the end of 2002 my travelling has been mainly local roads with occasional trips. I had to maintain a spreadsheet when I worked which, amongst other things, monitored average MPG and I have kept it going ever since. MPG has always been within a few decimal points of 47.

Reply to
Keith W