406 2.1TD LX - Speedo Problem

Hi

I have just bought the above car on a R plate. When driving, the speedo will sometimes give the correct reading, otherwise it will not work at all or shoot up to 60-70 mph when I am only doing about

30-40mph. The trip and mileometer work fine even when the reading is zero.

A local Peugeot dealer advised me to change a unit under the glove box which also regulates to the speed related power steering - this did not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Julian

Reply to
Julian

On my 405 recently I corrected something similar by resetting the trip counter to zero. The trip counter does not work well, and I think it may have fouled the speedo gear. On other cars it's been problems with the cable catching, cured by taking off the cable at the gearbox end and injecting some Teflon spray. I don't know whether any of this would apply to a 406, which may have all-electronic gear speedo and trip counter.

At least it's not a flickering rev counter! Something us 405 owners learn to live with.

Cheers

Julian wrote:

Reply to
Wichita

The unit to which you refer which I believe is fitted to diesel units, is a common cause of this fault going by previous discussions on this group. However I have a 406 auto Exececutive which doesn't have the unit to which you refer.

I was getting periods where the Speedo would drop to zero for up to a couple of minutes then recover. It was cured by replacing the sensor attached to the gearbox itself, about £25 plus fitting.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Bendall