406 brake disc screws removal problem

Hello, I tried ro remove the brake disc on my 406. The two screws are Torx55, but when I tried to loosen them the screw heads were destroyed. The screws were wxtremelt soft as if they ere made of lead. The reads are now without grips for the torx bits!! What did I do wrong, and how do I get them off to replace the disc (and the screws). Please help! Thanks

Michael

Reply to
michael

I will answer this in this group and not 'uk.rec.cars.maintenance' but you should probably say if you are cross posting...

I had the same issue with my 98 406 2.1TD - I only have one screw on them ATM cos Peugeot where all out of them at the time I did my disks, I also had to replace - Callipers, Back Plates, Disks, Pads, Full 3 part handbrake cable, shoes and a handbrake fitting kit and the hand-brake lever! - About £300,000,000 from Peugeot....

I couldn't believe there prices, £90 for two backplates, there only a bit of pressed tin for gods sake... I won't tell you what they wanted for a handbrake lever, needless to say I got one from the scrappy.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Use an electrical drill on the screws, take the discs off and use a cutting pliers to remove the rest of the screw with the disks you get new screws....

Greetz Aat

"Nik&Andy" schreef in bericht news:420fbc6e$0$41066$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net...

Reply to
Aat van den Bos

Exactly, just drill the heads off the old screws and remove the disks. Then you should be able to grip the remaining part of the screw withpliers or mole grips enough to remove them. Once the disk is off they shouldn't be tight, but a drop of WD40 on them will always help.

For future reference, I always use an impact wrench - the type you hit with a hammer - as this ensures that the bit stays in the screw firmly, and the impact also is better at loosening the tight screws.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

"user1454" wrote: > "Aat van den Bos" wrote in > message > news:c9a5b$420fbf93$546835f8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.multikabel.nl... > > Use an electrical drill on the screws, take the discs off > and use a > cutting > > pliers to remove the rest of the screw with the disks you > get new > screws.... > >

This always seems to happen with all Peugeot models. When they are rounded off, I gently tap them with a punch to turn them anti-clockwise. Always works for me.

Reply to
bigmac999

Cross head (pozidrive) screws seem more rugged than these torx ones, suggest you replace with these, which were used for years with few problems. I still use an impact driver though.

Reply to
brian

i was under the impression the guy was on about the caliper retaining bolts

55 tx was a giveaway here
Reply to
Mindwipe