406 Hdi Not Starting

We have a 1999 Peugeot 406 2litre Hdi 110bhp which has covered 96000 miles. We have owned it since 12000 miles and it was been serviced regularly. Two months ago it refused to start. The engine turned but it would not fire up. There followed a sequence of breakdown recoveries and trips to two garages. Sometimes it would start if it was a warm day; at other times it was impossible. Initially the fuel pump in the tank was replaced, this was followed by the fuel pump mounted on the engine. When we attempt to start the car from cold it usually fires up within three attempts, sometimes a little throttle is required. If the car has reached operating temperature and then left to cool for twenty minutes it becomes very difficult to start, often needing up to twelve attempts. Once running the car drives as normal. It has been suggested that the next step is to replace the injectors but as this would cost over =A31000 I am reluctant to spend this on a car of this age. I feel that the problem is related to the engine temperature and the flow of fuel. I'd be pleased to know your recommendations. Aside from these problems this is a great car.

Reply to
turboaceman

Could be air getting into the fuel line somewhere. Any sign of fuel seeping out, at the priming pump for example? Has the car ever been refuelled with unleaded?

Peter

Reply to
Eccles

The HDI doesn't have a priming pump but air getting in does sound likely.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

One of the mechanics spotted that some of the pipes which sits on top of the engine was weeping and he replaced all those pipes. Is there anywhere else to check?

Thanks

Reply to
turboaceman

Presumably you need to trace the piping all the way from the engine back to where it leaves the tank. Weeping would certainly indicate where air can get into the system. If you are lucky one of the professionals like Nigel et al will spot this and give you better guidance. There is a filter somewhere under the back seat that is worth checking too. It is highly unlikely to be the injectors that are causing your problem.

I take it that, being a 1999 HDI your car is a Hybrid of mkI and mkII like mine?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Thanks

Mine's got a GLX with the newer style head lamps and front fogs. It's a great car although its had a fair amount of money spent in the last couple of years - clutch (burnt it out trying to reverse a caravan up a slope in a tight space , cam belt, rear shockers too. Running it as a second car at the moment. Main car is now a Mondeo

130tdci - Quicker but not as nice or well built. Would have gone for a 407 but they're not built for towing caravans
Reply to
turboaceman

Hi,

I think that you should the injectors be tested. In Holland this would cost you something like 25 euro per injector without of course removal and placing back into the engine.

I have had almost the same problem. My hdi became more difficult to start each time with a warm engine up to a point where this failed completely. Remarkable after cool down of the engine there was no problem. I replaved the wrong injectors and since then there have been no starting problems. Also i noticed that where the engine always needed something like three turns to start, this has been improved as well. It starts now almost instantly after ignition.

regards,

henry

Reply to
john