406 Rattles

Got a '96 406 Exec (non turbo). Recently started getting a resonant sound / rattle seemingly from the lower rear of the engine bay, but only when the engine is just above 2000rpm - doesn't do it over or under that. As you can imagine, it's a tad annoying...

Before I go crawling underneath to try and find it, any one had any similar episodes / experiences?

Andy :)

Reply to
Ognat

I had a very simular problem. It turned out that the tensioner for the auxilary belt (fan belt to us) wasn't doing it's job properly. I you look under the engine, (you may have to take the plastic guard off the underneath of the engine bay), you'll see the fan belt wobbling at that engine speed. If this is the problem, that is,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Cheers for that, I'll have a look :)

Andy

Reply to
Ognat

Hi Guys

I had the same thing recently, I used to get the vibration between 2000 and

2500rpm and at 60mph on an A road it was annoying. I originally thought it was something under the engine/car.

To my surprise it wasn't in fact the top left engine mounting supporting bracket (Top left looking on to engine). If you pop your bonnet with the engine running and then adjust the throttle to around 2000rpm you will hear it clear as day, if you then push down on the top left engine mount support it will stop.

There is a movement limiter that attaches to the main engine mount this, connects via a bar and then bolts through a rubber bush, the bush will have gone as there are only two connecting pieces within the small cylinder. It costs £22.50 inc vat approx and takes about 10 to 15mins to fit.

This should do it !

-- Deviant Devanti

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
Reply to
Deviant Devanti

Reply to
John Banks

Spot on... well, you put me in the right area anyway! I checked the movement limiter and it had worked slightly loose where it bolts to the bulkhead. Torqued it back up and it's eliminated the noise.

I can turn the radio down now!

Cheers mate :)

Andy

Reply to
Ognat

No Worries Andy,

If you get any other problems just post it, I'm happy to help if I can.

-- Deviant Devanti

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
Reply to
Deviant Devanti

Well I spoke too soon, mine seems to be doing the same, can anyone give me details on where to look,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Hi Neil

Scroll down to my previous post ! the answer is there!

Reply to
Deviant Devanti

Recent work on my 97 406 at 120,000 km shows that numerous subframe attachment bolts and the RH engine mounts were loose enough to give rise to noise (knocking on road bumps and on left hand corners) . The vibration at abt 2000 rpm now gone and numerous clunks and knocks on bumps now gone. The car now pitter pats over the bumps like it did when new - must have been the looseness.

Reply to
Bob Chambers