97 406 2.1 TD Flashing stop light

Hi guys 'n' girls My 406 is showing a STOP warning light. The light will flicker on then off. It's not constant but worrying. I've just had a new auxillary belt fitted (could this be an issue?). No other lights show when this is happening. The auxillary belt broke for no reason and I'm hoping this is'nt something big! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon

Reply to
energizer

My first port of call would be to check to connections to all the sensors (oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, brake fluid level, coolant level), just to see if its that. Then i'd check all the obvious thing like brake fluid level, coolant level, brake pad wear and oil level. If thst doesnt help perhaps check your handbook to see what will bring the STOP light on without anything else.

Are there certain condition that occur when the light comes on? ie is the car cold, idling, acclerating etc

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hi Carl.

Yeh it normally happens when i'm going about 40mph! Although most of the time it happens in traffic jams on my way to work. I've checked the handbook but it only mentions the stop light in connection with other lights. It's getting new plugs tomorrow so i'll ask the garage to check it out. They've just fitted the aux belt and it's not feeling quite right so i'll get them to double check that too. I'd rather sort it myself though as garages are costly!

Kind regards Simon

Reply to
energizer

Ps. The revs are now going up and down??? Could this be the new aux belt?

Sy

Reply to
energizer

Hi,

And does the other lights lit when ingnition on ? All should do (oil pressure, water temp, evenutally engine management, ...).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T