Cost of a service?

My 306 HDi is due a 36000 service very soon. Local dealer has quoted £295 - does this seem about right or should I shop around?

TIA

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Mindwipe

Reply to
The Question Asker

Conventional wisdom indicates a cam belt change every 40k miles or 3 years whichever comes first. Leaving a car unused will speed up the deterioration of rubber parts. Consider a new alternator/power steering/aircon belt. You may find the aircon compressor seals have dried out and you have lost some refrigerant. if so get some dye put in at the same time as the top up. If you have got a leak, this will help locate it. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My 306 1.6 petrol just had its 40,000 mile service. Local Peugeot dealer wanted £280. Got it done at a local non Peugeot garage for £130.

Paul.

Reply to
No-One

deterioration of

Reply to
The Question Asker

If I was to go to a non Pug dealer would it affect the warranty? Still runs to April next year.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Problem sort of solved! Rang another dealer 10 miles away and they are quoting only £220!

Guess where I'll be going !

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

That I'm not sure about. It wasn't an issue for me because my warrenty expired several months ago.

Paul.

Reply to
No-One

yes it does affect the warranty, so stick to main dealer service until it expires, then shop around and save some money. i really believe that anyone who uses main dealer service after the warranty has expired has too much money. (thats just my opinion, but based on the facts that as a mechanic working for an independant garage, and also knowing lots of guys who work for dealerships, i know that it doesnt mean you get a better service, in fact only speaking for myself here, it works the other way round) the bonus schemes that main dealers employ for thier mechanics (not all main dealers) works on a time/production system, meaning if a service should take

3 hours and the mechanic does it in 2, he earns points etc etc (something like that) and vice versa if it takes him 4 hours he is penalised and has to make it up on his next job. we dont have a bonus scheme, so if a service takes me longer than the scheduled time i win or lose nothing. but it does mean i have more time to properly service someones car. i truly believe you are paying for a main dealer stamp in your service record and nothing more, i wouldnt work for a main dealer if they offered me twice my salary, i appologise to any dealer technicians in here,

Reply to
steve

Ouch. The 36k service is a Peugeot 'P3' service i think and last time i had it done it was £150 inc vat

Reply to
SimonDS

In message , SimonDS writes

The "P" services are only applicable after the car is three years old, I think. It's a way for Peugeot to haul in some servicing trade after the three year warranty period has expired, and people can go to other (cheaper) garages.

It just shows you how much of a rip-off services are for cars less than three years old. Before my last 206 was three years old, it's major service cost me nearly 300 quid. When the next equivalent service was done, it cost just 150.

Reply to
Chris Dudley

and lets not forget a service on a vehicle less than 3 years old should technicaly take less time than an equivalent older vehicle simply because theres less chance of siezed or corroded nuts, bolts etc, less wear in other components, there wouldnt be much to check really, just a formality, however i would imagine there would also be more chance of the garage in question bumping up your bill by having to replace brakes etc on an older vehicle.

Reply to
steve