service engine soon light

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T

85,000 miles

Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on and stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30 miles after refueling. The fuel cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past 5 or 6 fuel tank refills...

Gordon

stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30 miles after refueling. The fuel

or 6 fuel tank refills...

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
RM v2.0

If you are filling it up and then immediately driving off it has nothing to do with the fuel cap. Find out what fault code has been stored

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

This has been my guess.

Reply to
Gordon

Hey dirty I see you found out how to use spell check!!! now just learn how to post to the correct person.

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks and will do as soon as I get a chance. Does the light have to be on or does the microprocessor store errors? The light went back out yesterday afternoon, fuel tank @ 2/3 full...

Reply to
Gordon

on or does the microprocessor store errors? The light went back out yesterday afternoon, fuel tank @ 2/3

Reply to
maxpower

OK. Finally got to AutoZone. Code was "02 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2"

Reply to
Gordon

Reply to
maxpower

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T with the 3.0

Reply to
Gordon

OK. Finally got to AutoZone. Code was "02 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2"

Reply to
MT-2500

Never saw a code number. It read "2 Codes" then next. Read "O2 sensor". Then next and read "O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2". What's there to check out on an O2 sensor? and if you remove one with 85,000 miles on it why not replace it?

Reply to
Gordon

Par for the course when someone uses a half assed diagnostic tool.

There are numerous tests that can be performed WRT voltages, switching time, cross counts, switching thresholds, heater current.

Because it would be pointless until you knew the exact failure. For as much as the parts store told you, the SES light could be triggered because of a broken wire or bad ground to the O2 heater circuit, and replacing the sensor itself is not likely to be a remedy in that case. Since the sensor sells for $175.00, it would make more sense to be sure.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Actually I seem to remember seeing "O2 Sensor Heater" in the first code...

Considering this car was serviced 3 or so months ago by the local Dodge Dealer for a SES light with a $1200.00 bill attached for tune-up et, al, I'm reluctant to return it to the same dealer. The 'code' at that time was "multiple misfires" as quoted by the service writer.

Reply to
Gordon

The whole point of OBD2 is to be able to specifically define the failure. Somewhere in Nebraska isn't going to cut it.

Do you honestly think that some McDonalds reject at Autozoo is going to be more proficient? The cost of repairing a car is something that should be considered before the purchase, not after. It is what it is. If you don't trust the last dealer, go to a different one or go to an independent shop.

And odds are that it's totally unrelated to the problem you have now.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

And you're convinced the dealer's tech didn't graduate from Autozoo?

Thanks for the dissertation, Again not very helpful. How would one know just what will go wrong and the cost 5 years hence? Are you always so angry?

Agreed! I've never trusted dealer service shops. However knowing the O2 sensor might be at fault going into the shop is a huge advantage.

Priceless! Possibly 2 major repair bills inside of 3 months sounds to be a somewhat excessive need for repair on this car. Maybe Chrysler has gotten the last dollar from my pocket!

Reply to
Gordon

I'm convinced the autozoo guy didn't graduate from Chrysler training.

Actually, very helpful.

Call any service facility (dealer or independent) and ask them how much a tune up (or any other service) will cost.

What makes you think I'm angry? Your car needed service at 80xxx miles, completely normal, it now has some more needed service, also completely normal. Mechanical devices, especially ones as complicated as a late model automobile wear out and break, they also periodically need things replaced as maintenance.

Big difference between knowing what "might be wrong" and knowing what actually -is- wrong.

You haven't been driving very long, have you?

I'd suggest a GM product. (you need educating)

Reply to
aarcuda69062