HELP--- keypad security gone haywire after I typed in wrong numer

Hi Folks

Not me but a friend has (I think) a 406 Diesel Estate some 6 -8 years old. Not a bad car but he is forgetful. Anyway on Friday driving from London to Manchester his gear lever came out the socket so he called the AA who fixed it but when he went to start it again he was so flustered about breaking down on the M6 he typed the right numbers in the wrong order on the keypad security.

AA towed him to Manchester and the local dealer told him to leave the ign on and eventually it will re-set.

Can't see it myself but:

Is this correct?

Is there another way to overcome this problem?

Any help or advice would be welcome as he has to get back to London by Tuesday.

Thanks

Hugh

If, acting on information passed on or given in the course of reading this e-mail, or otherwise contained in any other form of communication from me, something catastrophic happens to either you, any one else, or to your / anyone else's property, I deny any and all liability for anything that occurs. And remember----

Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk

Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ

Hugh Gundersen

I have a late 96 405 with keypad immobiliser. I would think that it would be much the same as an early 406. The information I have is....

Keypads have to cater for incorrect operation. If an incorrect code is entered on 3 consecutive occasions the keypad is neutralised for 30 minutes. If the code is not confirmed , switch off the ignition and restart the operation. If the red and green lights are both lit, switch off ignition then wait for approx. 1 minute . Switch on again and retry.

If the keypad has "failed" in some way. Options

- code can be "sometimes" be reset to factory default by an autoelectrian. Try Autotrader for names or if you have LSUK locally then give them a bell and see if they can help (at a price of course) AA homestart is a good option to have in this case.

- get the autoelectrian to check the wiring/bypass the immboliser keypad if duff unit.

- get another immobilser keypad from a scrapped 406

- speak to Peugeot. I really have no knowledge of what parts required but guess new ecu at vast expense. Probably cheaper buying a new car.

This information is from personal experience - I have no professional experience of this security system or auto electric's. Wish I did. I would make a fortune with all the OTT gadgets in cars.

Reply to
spud

just disconnect the keypad for a couple of minutes

Reply to
Mindwipe

How is that carried out?

Would it not be the same as disconnecting the battery?

The coded number is held in the ecu as far as I know, that is why it is not affected by battery disconnection. Bit like info stored in ROM in a computer.

Reply to
spud

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob,

Yeah, right ! Even if Mindwipe doesn't often post here, his answers & statements often (if not always) brings the cure.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi GT and Hi all, I have just been down the rocky road of key pads, Codes, Pumps and Belts with my 1996 405 TD LX Here is what I have learned,,,,,

The diesel pump has a control unit with a normal diesel shut off valve connected to it via the black plug on the side of the pump, this is also connected to the ignition feed and the key pad, The key pad tells the control unit the code, the control unit then gives the shut off valve a live feed, all of the pump electrical and electronic systems are protected with heavy tamper proof metal plates, the only way to get to the control module and shut off valve is by REMOVING THE PUMP and centre punching the tamperproof bolts in an anti-clockwise direction,this will then allow the plates to be removed, a normal, or ignition controlled shut off valve can then be fitted, or cut the wires to the original shut off valve and apply a feed from the ignition and earth,

HTH Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy