help problem what fuel type petrol or diesel for 206

I have a friends car for the week (a pug 206), and he has asked to get her a refill of fuel for him coming back. He said that its a petrol engine however on the petrol cap it shows a black icon of a fuel pump with the letter P, surrounded by a "no" line, as if sayin "No Petrol". He definitely said it was petrol however im not so certain and I dont want to do damage to the engine, so could anyone help deciphering this? The petrol insert itself, is green in color. I may just leave it until he gets back.

Reply to
div.wlsn

Well open the bonnet and have a look to see if u can tell by that. lots of us on this group can tell before we open the hood.if its deisel or petrol,you should be able to see a carb if its petrol. and if deisel your see at least a deisel pump.or get some one that knows about cars to have a look for you. from chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

you can normally tell by just listening to the engine when you start up from cold.

Reply to
Brian

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Are you sure it Is it not Pb? Pb is the chemical symbol for lead as the technical name for lead is plumbum (hence plumbers - people who work with lead piping!) The symbol therefore means that it takes unleaded fuel.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Take off the cap and sniff the tank, the smells of diesel and petrol are totally different. Also look at the plugs. If they are joined together with one wire then they are glow plugs and it is a diesel. If they have a separate lead to each then they are spark plugs and is it petrol. Lastly, how do you start it, if you have to wait for the preheating light to go out then it is a diesel.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

It means unleaded

Reply to
nigel

A carb ? You are aware that Petrol engines stopped using carburettors well over 10 years ago ?

Reply to
Nom