Long Brake Overhaul

Hi, Decided to overhaul the front brakes on my 205 1.1 Style at the weekend.Just change the discs and pads on both sides and the sliding pins on the nearside. Disc 1.Retaining screw one came of with the impact driver, second one broke off.Oh goody have to drill it out !!! ( and get new one on Tuesday because Peugeot garage now shut.Clamp brake hose and take off caliper to renew sliding pins.Nice and easy job. Next tackle getting disc off.Half an hour of heating and bigger and bigger hammers have to concede defeat.Out comes angle grinder and cold chisel.Off in 10 minutes.Reassemble with new pads and steal retaining screw from other side.Leave bleeding till other side done. Proceed to other side where same technique is needed for disc.Pack up and get drunk. Sunday proceed to put in new pads.All goes well until I tighten caliper mounting bolts and figure of 8 washer connecting them snaps.Add to list for Tuesday. Move back to other caliper to bleed.(All bleed nipples having been given good coating of plus gas over last three days.). Bit tight but nipple loosens off so bleed caliper.Retighten nipple and with last tweak it breaks off level with the caliper.Screams heard 3 streets away, still at least its drivable.Nipple seems to be made of soft metal !!!!!. Go off, get drunk. Tuesday go to garage get parts )only £1.59 !!!.Refit everything but do not risk bleeding whole system because other nipples look dodgy to me now. Trial run in car and all juddering gone and no pulling. How can such a simple job turn into such a marathon.If only the former owner had applied copper grease to back of discs ( or I had thought to take them off and do the same a few years ago!!) The bleed nipples were fine when I did the brakes last summer but even copper grease under the rubber caps has not prevented them seizing up.Any advice on how I fix the broken nipple would help.I suspect drilling would damage the caliper threads, so is it possible to have a helicoil type insert put in?.All ideas welcome. End of rant

Reply to
Morris

Haha, you own a pug, do you expect any different. changing the rear brakes took me three days due to crappy stripped bolts and the need to drill the cylinders off the mounts. not a fun job

Reply to
adcb