my car has stopped and i don't have a clue y help

peugoet 306 1.4 94 was fine turn the key this morning nothing no dash lights or any thing confused big style as hazards nd head lights are fine just as soon as u go to the ignition zippo not a flicker plz plz help

Reply to
adamxx24

dead baterry? dead relay?

did you leave the lights on?

Reply to
Marc

I think he said his lights were ok but I'm not sure as there's no punctuation to help.

Has it got an immobiliser (unlikely to cause this problem I know)? Fuse gone somewhere?

Reply to
Malc

thanks for the help sorry my message seemed vague, i have tried all the fuses , my lights work fine but that is because they work regardless of whether the key is in the ignition which tells me its not the battery its only when i put the key in the ignition to do anything and nothing happens , the lights don't flicker or dim or anything like that it is as if i have not got the key in there at all it really does do nothing at all , i really scrating my head on this one i have to say . any thoughts would be gratefully received otherwise its an expensive trip to the garage ?... trying a different battery in the morning although i'm not too hopefull. and no i didn't leave the lights on i have tried all the very obvious things like trying to jump her and fuses and taking the sterring colloum off to make sure nothing has come loose for what ever reason .. basically i have no idea!!!!

Reply to
adamxx24

This is worth a try. Obviously it isn't a battery issue if your headlights are fine.

Lift up the base of the back seat. In the centre of the base of the back seat put your hands into the void and find two connectors. Disconnect them then reconnect (it is awkward in the space you have and you can't see what you are doing). Try ignition again.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

See my other post. Also try this - get someone else to attempt to start the car - when they are doing this give the starter motor solenoid a rattle with the plastic end of a screwdriver and see what happens - sticking solenoids are not unusual in 306`s.

One other simple fault which can cause this is a faulty cell in your battery - seemingly tons of power available to your lights but not enough current to turn your starter motor.

I have had all three problems - the last one baffled me as well and caused me to argue with the garage - they were right - I was wrong.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

See other post - I now recall my battery failure where a faulty cell caused the above symptoms.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Sounds to me as if the actual ignition switch on the column has gone.

The least Id expect is the starter to turn, regardless of immobiliser

The lights should dim if the starter motor has jammed (and it would still make an obvious noise) even if the battery was low (someone mentioned a fuel cell) Id expect turning the ignition to kill the lights (he says they are ok) as it draws current from the battery.

How about you check a few things that ARE controlled from the ignition key, like the radio, or brake lights or indicators etc. If those work then the ignition key is probs ok, in which case you have an electrical fault thats stopping the starter turning over - fuse, relay, starter motor its self (very unlightly) or the start position of the actual ignition switch has gone!

Good luck! John.

Reply to
John & Frank

The starter doesn't budge if immobilised.

I would tend to agree with the above but in my case - faulty battery cell indicated nothing untoward at all (apart from not starting). It was intermittent and for a while un-reproducable. Finally the diagnostics machine caught it.

I agree ignition switch is a possibility but my money is on one of the ones I mentioned. I'll buy you a beer if it isn't!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

No dash lights too?

Reply to
Malc

Re the dash lights - I was referring to the high failure rate of individual dash bulbs - not a failure of all bulbs to light.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

have you checked the earthing straps?? if the engine earth is disconnected then it wont work.. (can cause other VERY odd symptoms too!!) if the lights have a separate earth it might explain them working...)

no other ideas coming to me at this time..

Lost

Reply to
Lostin1999

disconnected

Reply to
Morris

ok been working on the bloddy car all day in sub zero tempratures my nuts are like dry roasted ones and i'm not impressed!. thanks to everyone who is trying to help , but its just not happening tried re-earthing as one of the guys said it has two earthing straps bought a new strap and gave everything a damb good scrub.. tried a different battery from the mrs car no affect but just to completly rule out the battery put my battery in her car and it was fine ... i have no idea and no-one including a peugout main dealer has a clue i think i will have to bite the bullet and just take her in i think unless some words of wisdom can help thanks again guys and girls . adam

Reply to
adamxx24

2 persons: 1 in front of the car, the other tries to start.

Switch on the lights

Try to start.

If the lights dim, it's most likely the battery.

If they stay on and do not dim, there is no current going to the starter motor. So it's either the solonoid, or the starter motor

Joop

Reply to
Joop de Wit

In message , adamxx24 writes

You should exclude a fault in the ignition switch & its wiring. To do that ideally you need to test with a voltmeter.

You say you have the steering wheel shroud off. The ignition switch has six wires, connected through three two pole spade connectors. You should be able to test with the connectors connected, by pushing the probe down the back of each.

There are two positive supplies, the four others are heated rear window, engine off supply, engine on supply & start. I am not sure whether the wire colour code is consistent across all models & in any case I do not now remember it all.

I do remember the two supply wires were red. If with the ignition off you do not have +12V on two wires, then there is a (wiring?) fault to the switch. If those two wires do not still have +12V at positions 1, 2 & 3 - then again a wiring or short circuit fault (this was my fault).

Turning the key to position 1 should bring on one or two more wires to

+12V (I cannot remember whether the heated rear window is on at position 1). If not (& assuming the supply wire, are +12V, as above), then the switch is faulty.

Turning the key to position 2 should bring all but one wire to +12V. If not, then as above the switch is faulty.

Finally position 3 should bring the last wire up, the starter solenoid. At the same time the heated rear window is switched off, so again only five wires are on. If the starter wire does not go on, then again it is going to be a starter switch fault.

Good luck

Reply to
Dave English