peugeout 405 wont start,help plz

i have a 405 1.9 td with over 2k miles om the clock i have charged the batery and recently put new glow plugs in about 6 weeks ago but now it just wont start,,,,the last 2 days the orange light came on the dash? iam totally stumped do u think its time to scap it

Reply to
jay33x

Hi,

New clock then ? :-) Or do you mean 200k miles ?

Glow light I suppose ?

Nope, check you've got 12V on the stop solenoid as a start. If not, check the wiring. For test, you can connect the solenoid directly to the battery and prime the pumpe (sure it has emptied the fuel circuit it you tried to start with solenoid valve closed). If it starts, the car won't stop with solenoid fed by the battery, you'll have to stop it using the manual stop actuator.

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Cool. Just an onlooker, but want to make sure I understand this. The stop solenoid is like the air brakes on a train. When the engine is on the electricity holds open the fuel circuit. When you turn the engine off, no power means no fuel? Just like air brakes are fail safe by holding the brakes off, not by applying them? Cheers

Reply to
Wichita

That is correct.

The orange light... the water in fuel light is orange too, and if there really was water in the fuel, then it definitely will not start. Drain the fuel filter just to make sure.

Reply to
brian

Hi,

Yes. That's the way you shut down your engine, indeed. Hey, Brian, if you read it, you're right anyway !

Or on a lorry, true. But that's not to prevent the engine from starting :-) It's just the easiest way. Oh, BTW, I forgot that point : on some XUDs there is a connector for the stop solenoid, which may be unplugged. Not the case on mine (the wire just runs throught the loom), but had the case on a friend's '97 205D (I remember it very well - we were on the road, a little convoy of two cars, then he stops and tells me "engine's just cut out". 7 minutes to see there was a connector, replug it and start the engine. First time I saw a connector for that stop solenoid, indeed. The point I'm developping is the connector seems to be a random rule : no plug for my '93 Junior D, and plugs on both my friend's '97 Generation D and my brother's '91 DTurbo.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

True, I don't know why I thought it was related to the glow plugs indicator.

Right, I forgot this point.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

I just tought of something else : could the stop solenoid be stuck closed ? Usually stuck open, but...

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T