Power Steering Problems

Hi;

I have a '97 R plate 2.0 16v GLX 406:

NB: Before this the PS was working 100%: I was driving back from a 250 mile round trip and accelerating (not hard) when I came to a bend in the road I steered into it and I thought the steering felt heavy.

I slowed down in a parking bay and checked the steering to find that the power steering had completely gone. There were no noises or smoke (burning transmission fluid off the exhaust)when it happened or now. When i checked under the bonnet the resevoir was at MAX and the belt was still driving the pump which has no visible leaks.

When the car is at stand still and revved the power steering does get a little lighter (this is NOT a variable power steering system) which tells me that the belt is driving the pump to some extent as the pressure through it must build at higher revs.

Does anybody have any ideas what this may be or know of it happening before?

Thanks

Reply to
Chris Brayshay via CarKB.com