Peugeot 406 radio replacement

Hi,

I?ve got the factory fitted radio/cassette player in my Pug 406 (Mk

1). There?s nothing actually wrong with it, but I?ve got a Sony CD player I?d rather have in there.

I notice Halford sell fascia adaptors, it seems to be the same one for both mine and the Mk 2 model. How do I remove the existing stereo from the car as it?s something the Haynes manual etc seem to miss out.

As there?s nothing wrong with the existing stereo, I?m planning to put it back in when I sell the car. Will I need to get the radio code, or is the radio tied into the engine ECU? In other words, in a year or two will it plug back in and work without me having to involve my dealer in any way?

Finally, I have read somewhere that the radio remote stalk works with some Sony units. The unit I have is fairly recent, and has a blue socket on the back of the stereo, which I presume is for the remote? If I connect this one up, does the controls on the stalk work exactly the same?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
dazza12

I have a P reg 406 with a Kenwood stereo in it. The fascia was already in there when i bought it...

I think this is probably the same with a sony unit: You need a cable to connect to the stereo which then connects to another one specifically for the 406 which goes into the stalk. As the second lead is car specific i would guess the stalk functions would be the same.

I was going to do it, but the cables came to about 30 quid or so and so I use my left hand and spent the money on beer.

Reply to
Ben

Hi Mate, To memove the exsisting stereo u need 2 bits of wire. An unbent c clip for removing aftermarket stereo's is alwasy good. There are two holes by the tape deck hole, one either side of the stereo. Put the wires into there and you should feel them click a bit. You'll need to push them a way in. Then its hard and tight but the old stereo should pull out. Done it on mine, no problems. As for the code you'll probably need to go get its code read. They do this via teh serial code on the machine. Main dealers are a very expensive way of doing it. Using a local car radio shop is my recommendation. They are cheap and always willing to help. I will warn you though, there isnt a lot of room behind the stereo after you fit an aftermarket unit in as the slant the headunit in at an angle, the original being laid in flat. And the stalk. Sony kenwood and blaupunkt all do kits to use the remote stalk. Blaupunkts are about £35 if i remember rightly from when i looked. Blaupunkts may not look all that but their functions eclipse the competion. I've used blaupunkt for the last 10 years over any other make for pure sound quality. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Reply to
Andrew Carpenter via CarKB.com

Hi,

usually, if you can contact the original supplying garage of the car, they will tell you the radio code for free!!

Sounds like it's defeating the object I know, but has happened on 2 Pug I know of (Mine and a friends), so there you go!!!

Reply to
Joe Bloggs