Re: 406 HDI 90 Rattles and struggles under load

1999 406 HDI 90 75,500miles

> > When going uphill and increasing throttle the engine rattles (sounds like > worn cams) and it seems to have no power. > > Same on flat (but more noticable uphill) .... accelerating hard up to > 3000rpm it sounds rough and rattles, then sounds fine as soon as it hits > 3000 exactly > > Purely as a test I tried taking it to top speed on the motorway .... fine up > to 90 then takes forever to get to anything above that. When it was new it > would get to 110 very quickly before the power tailed off. > > The car does almost 100% motorway miles and I service it every 6000 instead > of 12,000, so oil and filters are clean (serviced last 4000 miles ago). > > I've heard (in other threads) that its common for these to blow their head > gasket. I can't find any info on this being a problem on the net > > There is no smoke from the exhaust at all, and only the smallest puff of > soot on a hard acceleration. There is zero oil consumption. Sits on max all > the time (even though the manual says to top up the oil every 1000 miles i > have never had to put any in) > > Also 1 out of 3 times I try to start it ... the starter motor will turn over > 10-15 seconds before it starts, and other times it starts instantly. This > starting problem happens both hot and cold. > > (Millions of other faults with the car, but I've mentioned them in other > threads... so i wont do that here) my main concern is the engine. > > Anyone got any suggestions? It can't be knackered already at 75,500 miles. > Everyone on this Peugeot group do go on about how HDI's are wonderful and > will do 82million miles before anything needs doing. > > My car is essential for work, so I am concerned about the head going and > leaving me stranded > > Any help apreciated > > Thanks > > Luke > >
Reply to
Yuting Wan

It would seem that a faulty sensor is causing the ecu to change the fuel injection timing. Or the cambelt has slipped, due to a badly fitted tensioner. This would explain all your faults of rough engine and loss of power. Time to visit a dealer garage to plug in the diagnosis kit and check the error messages.

Good luck.

Reply to
Hardgrafter

First thought is slack cam belt, has it been done yet?

Is the interior mirror rattling lose and the fuel filller latch broken? They're the only problems I've encountered so far. [touches wood nervously] jim.

Reply to
djimbo

No slack in the cambelt. If it slipped it would result in destroyed engine head anyway.

Why can't manufacturers make good old non-destructive cams where if the belt breaks the car just comes to a stop (ala Toyota)

Yes the mirror rattles along with the stereo and the centre console plastics resonate at 1300 rpm making a horrible noise. The air con broke ages ago, various dash lights are blown, the drivers seat came off once while i was driving, the boot is easy to break into, oh and various electrical faults like every time I put the handbreak on it says "Brake Fluid Low" on the centre screen. And sometimes when starting it says "Electronic Ignition Fault" THATS BECAUSE ITS A DIESEL DUMB CAR!

Reply to
Luke Wells

Thankyou for the sugestions. I'll phone peugeot now and see how much they want to rip me off for a diagnostic check

I understand what you are saying about the fueling (also quite often if driving late at night, at 30mph in 4th gear the car will stutter like a missfiring petrol engine)

Is it not likely that the cams, valves, tappets are not just knackered and worn?

Luke

Reply to
Luke Wells

I've just checked the coolant filler for any deposits or signs of oil and it looks clean Alos checkdd the oil filler for signs of deposits or sludge, just looks like normal oil in there

Also the injectors were cleaned with proper injector cleaner at the mechanics 10,000 miles ago (i.e. fill the fuel filer with injector cleaner, drive round block in second gear for 5mins and then flush) This was as an MOT was due and I didn't want to fail on emissions. The exhast wasn't smoking then, and it isn't smoking now, so I am reasonably confident that the injectors are ok. I know alot of HDI's fail the emission testing. Taxi's that are driven around town all day are really suffering. There is one local to me (Y reg) that paints a black line of soot on the road as it goes past, making a wooshing noise from the exhaust

Luke

Reply to
Luke Wells

Yes of course if it slipped a cog, broke etc you would get dramatic results, but I've had a slack one [fnarr fnarr] on a 405 GLD give exactly the symtom you describe. Not that tho if there is no slack on yours ;-)

You seem to have got hold of the one citrus one in the bunch, I had occasion to slang off Rover 820s in a similar fashion a few years back. So far with two 406s and 100K miles I personaly have no reason to consider em unreliable. The previous 300/400K on two 305s and a 405 only confirms my reliabilty belief. Of course this latest 406 has it's poor points, but the plus points far outweigh em. (imo) I was particularly impressed with its handling after the old 406, this one corners like its on rails, the old one cornered like a railway engine. Anyone else noticed this? They must have fiddled with the steering/suspension somehow.

jim

Reply to
djimbo

I've now had two awful 406's, my brother inlaw got rid of his 106 on 87,000 as it just kept breaking down all the time.

Thing is the 406 HDI has several common faults and is UNRELIABLE. You only have to do a quick search to find out about its common problems (idle stepper, air con, rear suspension, riser pump failure, head gaskets, ecu faults) to name some

Yes it definatly handles better then the old 406. The old 406 would bite you in the wet with no warning, the new one tells you way in advance that somethings wrong and gives you time to correct.

Reply to
Luke Wells

Hello,

i´ve got the 206 HDI 90 (bought new in 1/2001) and I´m just on that point. With intermitting loosing power at revs obove 3000 rpm I went to the garage where they found a faulty air inlet sensor. Ok, they fixed it (as they said) and everything was ok afterwards.

Two weeks ago I went to a different Gerage for the regular 60000 Km Service and getting the car back I had exactly the same symptoms as luke describes. Good power up to 2250 rpm then loosing much so it needs a long time to get up and at 30000 rpm getting all the power back and running without any problems up into the red area. Back at the garage they told me, they had an error for not fuctioning air inlet sensor. They found the cable to the sensor unplugged and plugged it in again. That was all. Now checking with the diagnosis kit, the ECU reported something like "not enough air" (Air filter is new!) and one other error I don´t remember of. -Which obviously caused the ECU to lower the fuel suspension. Just for testing they unplugged the sensor again, and my car now drives perfecly. -They looked very puzzled and in disbelief but checked again with the diagnosis kit and obviously my car drives best without this sensor. They are now two weeks searching for the reason, being in contact with the other garage, who did the first repair and trying to get answers from Peugeot.

Well, I´m still waiting, not letting them out calling every second day since my car is still under guarantee. And in the mean time I´m happy driving along with the loose cable connector..... (Pug could have saved alot if all cars drive without this part...)

Btw.: Both garages are Peugeot main garages and dealers. I need the car for work so the checking and easier guarantee regulations are essential enough to pay a little higher prices.

The essence of my writing: It could be worth to check the cable, and maybe unplug the sensor so the ECU falls back in some kind of error routine. But only to check for a short time, normally the fuel consuption rises 10-30% according to the Peugeot garage.

HTH, Gunther

Hardgrafter schrieb:

Reply to
Gunther Jordan

very interesting and worth looking into!!

Reply to
Luke Wells