RPM High

Hi to all of you I am owning a 205XS from early this year, since a month my rpm in idle is constant at 2000 RPM when the engine is warm. I visited a dealer and was told the idle ajuster switch on the carburtor was faulty. I changed the switch (very expensive piece) but the RPM did not change to normal. Has anybody had this too and what did you do to fix the problem. Any info is appreachiated. I have a Bosch Carburator fitted. Please copy your answer to my my e-mail please snipped-for-privacy@fsmail.net Best regards Werner

Reply to
Werner

As far as I know the 205 uses only Solex or Weber carbs, unless you've transplanted a new carb (from something else, or an equivilent)?

What year is your XS?

The idle speed would need be adjusted on your carb, even if its a new carb it'd need to be "tuned up"- its a small screw usually located near the bottom (if you tell me what year/engine type your XS has I'll tell you where). If you replaced it then it would still need adjusting.

Other than that, it could be that your manual choke (despite being in the off position inside the car) could have its cable too tight/slack which is effecting the mixture which'd bring the RPM up (between 1000 and 3000 rpm).

You can get your carb tuned up at a rolling-road garage, they put it on rollers and adjust it so your fuel mixture isn't running too rich or lean. Improves fuel comsumption too. Usually not too expensive, and you can usually find them at track days/car shows/similar events, but normal garages can do it.

- Ryan Gillett

Reply to
Ryan Gillett

Could be the mixture although if it's suddenly started then I'd edge toward the choke cable - they can get crap stuck around the opening where the wire comes out of the sheath and stick, so you push the handle back in but the cable stays drawn out at the carb end.

Never heard of them having Bosch carbs though!

Ryan: Did you get your car sorted?

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hey Matt,

Well the problem seems to have vanished, it has occured once since.. but it was just a single cut out, and it ran fine afterwards. ... not the best way to have a problem solved, I hate it when I don't know the cause or why it's suddenly working again. - doesn't exactly fill me with trust in the car on longer journeys!

The distro cap & rotor arm were replaced though (but it happened that once after it). Next job is to replace the fuel pump relay, because that's renown for causing it (so I hear) when it becomes damp or in contact with alot of water, like the stormy weather we've had recently, and it won't hurt to replace various vital parts on a 1989 :)

I've never heard of a Bosch carb on a 205, the haynes manual says Solex or Weber... Speaking of Bosch, do you know anywhere to get a Bosch 30A 12v relay (or four) in the UK?

- Ryan Gillett

Reply to
Ryan Gillett

I hate it when that happens too - I always wonder what it was. At least for the moment it's sorted.

Sounds like a good idea.

These guys should be able to sort you out...

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt