RPM high

Hi,

1996 MX5 with 1800 motor.

When I stop the RPM drops to 1200- 1400 RPM and sits at that for about 6 seconds then slowly falls to it's normal 750-800 RPM . I unplugged the electronic controller and blipped the accelerator and it drops immediately back to 750 -

800 without pausing at 1200- 1400 for several seconds . Something in the brains of the car is telling it to stop at the higher revs for a while before returning to normal.

AC turned off.

2 questions .

Does anyone know what might be doing it and why ?

Did Bill gates have anything to do with the software in the CPU on the MX 5 :)

Cheers and TIA

Reply to
Col:

I know at least the 1.6L M1s were meant to do this. There was a discussion on Miata.net of people actually upset that they lost this "feature" after doing some bolt-on mods. Don't sweat it.

Reply to
Bryan

Sounds to me like your idle idjustment is set a little high. I don't know what you mean about removing the electronic box?

On my 2002 1.8, you need to short the TEN pin to ground on the diagnostic connector and set the idle to around 1100 RPM or so, then remove the jumper on the TEN pin. The idle is adjusted on one side of the throttle-body with a stubby Philips head.

I do not know if this applies to your 1996 car.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

1996 needs to be set to 850-900 this way, IIRC.

I believe the short delay is to keep the engine from stalling. But 6 seconds seems too long. Then again, I have a SC.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

This is correct. Follow the instructions in the miata.net Garage for setting the timing and idle speed. The speed cannot be set properly without jumping TEN and GND in the diagnostic connector.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

My 2001, normally aspirated, have idle set at 850 rpm, but only when car doesn't move. If it has any speed readable by speedometer (above 5mph) then idle is 950 rpm. When I stop - it falls to 850 immediately.

Regards, Kempi '01 silver,IL

Reply to
Kempi

THat's what I want mine to do again . Thanks for the help .. hmmm

Reply to
Col:

Reply to
chuckk

This just seems like a lot of work compared to shorting the TEN pin to ground and setting the idle speed properly.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Especially since idle speed and static timing should be set together, and you need to jump the pins for that anyway.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Reply to
chuckk