'00 Grand AM - Low coolant

For the third time in about a year, the Low Coolant light comes on momentarily in the morning.

Last fall, I just had it topped up as the car was about 6 years old.

Then in Feb or March, it happened again. I had the radiator checked and there was no leak and GM said that maybe it was an air bubble.

Now this morning, it came on again momentarily. I am going to assume that it will continue to happen every morning. Anyone know what this could be, or have run into it before?

Reply to
Jon

The low coolant light generally means your coolant level is low.

If it was > For the third time in about a year, the Low Coolant light comes on

Reply to
Dipstick

Check your coolant level. It's not that hard. If it's fine, you probably have a shot coolant level sensor.

Reply to
80 Knight

If it's not fine, you probably have leaking intake manifold gaskets. Look for the coolant in the oil will look like a milkshake). LOL.

Reply to
hdd

Jon - I have a '99 Grand AM-SE - I've had the manifold gasket replace twice and the water pump replaced once - might want to have those checked.

hth

-Mike

J> For the third time in about a year, the Low Coolant light comes on

Reply to
michaelmarvel

I have a '00 GA and had the intake manifold gasket replaced in Nov

2005. The first sign that something was up was the low coolant light came on a few times. I topped it up, but it kept coming on after a couple of weeks or so.

What tipped me off that there might be a bigger problem was that:

  1. The coolant level was indeed low, as seen in the reservoir, yet...
  2. There were never any puddles under the car; that is, it was not leaking coolant "out" of the car.

Turns out the intake manifold gasket had failed and the coolant was leaking into the engine (hence the low coolant light but no puddles under the car). $600 fix that would have been a lot more had I left it alone and just kept topping 'er up. As in, the head gasket would have gone, etc.

Apparently this is quite the issue for the 3.4L engine; do some googling on the subject and you'll see what I mean.

The guy who fixed my car runs a radiator shop. He said that he once replaced 12 (TWELVE) intake manifold gaskets on 3.4L engines in ONE WEEK. Good business for him, sucks for us 3.4L owners!

Hope this helps. My advice - get that car to a mechanic asap!

Reply to
quiet_table

Take the coolant level sensor out and clean it good.

I had this same problem on a Grand Prix. you have to bring the radiator fluid down some, so it is a good time to just go ahead and flush it.

Many people suggest replacing the coolant level sensor when all it really needs is to be cleaned. The Dex cool causes gunk in there to mis-read.

Reply to
jay420