96 Grand Am V-6 3.1 Overheating

I am having a problem with my car overheating. I just drove from Philadelphia to evansville,in and my car when almost back started to overheat. It was boiling water and coolant out of the overflow tank. I have just gotten back from the mechanic where they did a pressure test and said there is a small intake leak but dont think that is the problem. He thinks its a clogged heater core. A couple of people who i have talked to thinks its a thermostadt. Would a clogged heater core cause a car to overheat. I just drove the car yesterday and about 30 min into my drive the car overheated. There was alot of pressure built up on the tank when i pulled it over. When going home we kept the cap on but left it a little loose and see if that helped in which it did. Does anyone have a clue?

Reply to
UKGilster

You did not give us much to go by. Overheating can be caused by many things. You or someone you hire will have to determine which thing: radiator, thermostat, fan, engine, belt, pump, airflow, coolant mix, cap, hoses, etc., etc.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Be ready to dish out some cash. You said he said you had a leaky intake, I have never heard of one that didnt have a leaky intake eventually, you are looking at $800-1000k on average to fix that alone, may as well get a new heater core and make sure your radiator is not clogged also all at the same time. Its a damn shame GM has this self inflicted stinch surrounding them regards to the flagrant intake failures.

Reply to
Dick Steal

Reply to
UKGilster

You never said if you checked the fan -- is it running? Also, are you losing coolant?

Reply to
Svilen Stoicheff

Reply to
UKGilster

Dexcool is famous for clogging your system, just remove your coolant filler cap and look at the sludge.

Reply to
Maccaca

I bet the system is clogged/blocked with some sludge.

Reply to
Maccaca

Blaming the wrong thing again. Sludge in a dexcool system generally comes from 2 things. Rust (cast iron engines) or stop leak. Both will be problems if you dont keep the system Topped Off to keep AIR out.

Often if its easier for the system to suck air in through the leak than coolant from the overflow bottle through a 15psi radiator cap. Thus you get a low radiator but not a low overflow bottle.

Reply to
Bon·ne·vil

When was the last time you replaced the radiator hoses? I had a bottom hose collapse and it st> > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to