03 Grand AM Sealed Transmission

Ok, I know there has to be atleast one or more master mechanics in here. I own a 2003 Grand AM GT, and I want to change my transmission fluid and filter, however there is no dipstick. How do I go about checking the fluid and know how much to put back in? Couldn't I just drop the pan, then measure how much fluid came out and put the same exact amount back in, or what? Plus, is it also possible to drain the fluid out of the torque converter with the trans pan off by disconnecting on of the cooler lines?

ANY HELP YOU COULD THROW MY WAY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Reply to
KMU

There is a small plug in the end of the right side of the transmission, very close to the section of the transmission where the right axle goes into it. The procedure is like this, you would drain your fluid (remove the pan, etc), change the filter, re-install the pan, install about 6 liters of atf, start the engine, cycle through the gears, put it in park, remove that plug, and slowly fill until fluid begins to come out of the plug. That's it. Oh, and if you need to jack up the car to get at the plug, you must keep the car even, you can't just jack up the front of it. The fill plug for these transmissions is a red colored cap on the top of the trans right under the exhaust crossover. So watch that you don't burn yourself.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That is ridiculous! Why did GM do it this way?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

They are stupid. I've found 100's of things on this car that I hate. 2003 and it has 85k miles, Just to name a few, the HVAC fan speed switch is broke, either all or no fan, and the cruise control on/off button, when you push it, and release it, the cruise doesnt stay on, you have to hold the button in. Head lights were holding water, the back uplights recessed into the bumper are holding water also. I should have bought the damn extended warranty. I have a 97 S-10 also, and that truck eats gas, but it has been the most dependable truck I have ever owned. 300 K miles, and it still will shit and get. Runs the same as it did the day I bought it new, also looks too. I like other Chevrolets, not the newer ones.

Reply to
KMU

Probably to irritate all the folks out there like you.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Do young people want to do this kind of work? The industrial arts program at a local high school was canceled due to a lack of interest.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

That probably depends on location.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I don't blame them if they don't want to get involved in the automotive trade. Especially down in the States. It's been a great trade for me, but I seem to be one of the few people in the trade that I know, that actually like the trade. Most of us in the trade are busy telling all the young kids that are changing oil to "get the hell out now", before they can't get out. When businesses and the general public figure out what a good technician is worth, you might get some interest in the trade. Until then....the rats are leaving the ship in droves.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well, use this anyway you might like. I'm 21, and I took what my school offered "Auto Service Technology" for 2 years at our local ISD. I think I learned quite a bit, but not like rebuilding a transmission or an engine, the things I would like to learn. I wouldnt want to do them for a living, but I wouldnt mind it as a hobby on the side, doing it when I feel like it, and quiting when I feel like it. I would not want to do it for a living. Thankfully I think abstractly, I can picture something and see how it comes apart and put it back together. I'm thankful for what I have learned. I think I could rebuild an engine, just no the machineing part, but reassembleing maybe, if I followed a set of instructions, any of you guys live in michigan detroit/ thumb area?

Reply to
KMU