95 jeep grand cherokee transmission leak

My transmission is leaking i noticed this when i seen smoke from the back of my jeep it looks like its leaking from the bellhouseing i see it drip
from inside the bellhouse cover and on to the exhaust would this be a front seal if so how much does a transmission shop charge usually.Also some of my transmission pan bolts where lose i tightned them up and no leak there anymore.Thanks for everyones help on this
Ninety nine percent of the sixes leak oil at the rear of the valve cover. Take a rag and wipe the back of the head between it and the firewall. Drive it around and I'll bet you'll find the rag wet next time. Replace the gasket. Also there are some blow by tubes that should check for clogged, pressurizing the crankcase and forcing leaks: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/40ltr/blowby.htm God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
blazerchic wrote:

From trying to decipher the OP's post, I read that he has an automatic tranny since he describes his transmission pan. He didn't describe the color of the fluid leaking so it's hard to tell whether it is engine oil or ATF, although if ATF is coming from his valve cover he's got a bigger problem. :-) FWIW my leak is not coming from the valve cover, I have a bonafide rear main leak, but it's not too bad for now.
http://www.billhughes.com /

Ok i was coming home today going about 55 on the parkway and there was the smoke alot of it to,so i pulled over there was transmission fluid on the bellhousing back it was over the pan and part of the transfer case.I wiped everything with a rag yesterday and i still see red fluid driping from the bellhousing on to the exhaust i guess this is where the smoke is coming from.Would this be a front seal or what would cause this. thanks for everyones help so far
blazerchic wrote:

It could be, or it could be a leak in the transmission cooler lines if you have one. Also check the transmission dipstick to make sure it hasn't come loose. If the transmission is overfilled it can foam up and come out the dipstick then run down. How is your fluid level?
The front seal can leak but it's not very common. That seal is in the center between the transmission and torque converter. No real way to know what it looks like without dropping the transmission.
--
DougW

Bell housing sounds like a front seal indeed. Just to prepare you for the worst, bad seals often signal problems with their associated bearings. Hope that isn't the case. If you are dripping on the exhaust your vehicle could catch fire. I have had that happen, and it can change your whole day. :o(
Other causes of a bad front seal could be cracked flex plate, torque converter bolts loose, or seal just plain worn out. Unless you have a transmission jack handy and a fairly well equipped garage, this is a job for a commercial mechanic service.
Good luck.
Earle

Just to get by could i put some exhaust heat wrap where it leaks so it wont catch fire.Im taking it to cottman transmission on weds to find out the problem they said they would check it for free.They said it would be 329 dollars to fix the seal,i pray the seal is just worn out. thanks everyone for your help

wont
This strikes me as a bad idea. If you are talking about that fiberglass stuff it is likely to absorb fluid and then you will just have a bigger fire. If it is leaking that bad you would want to have the vehicle towed to the repair facility. A fire isn't super likely but if you do get one you won't be happy.
Earle
blazerchic wrote:

Watch Cottman. The one we have here was well known for ripping folks off.
You might be better served by looking up a good local (non chain store) transmission shop.
FWIW, a new tranny from the dealership can be had for about 2K The seal runs about 12-15$ but installation is the big cost there. You might want to call a dealership and ask how much they charge.
I'd definitly shop around a bit.
Dunno how much you know about transmissions but this page is a good read. http://www.familycar.com/Transmission.htm
--
DougW

Like Bill said. Also it is real easy to overtighten oil pan and valve cover bolts. I use a nut driver on them, or the proper torque spec. if I am ambitious enough to look it up. If you are really leaking transmission fluid then it will have a red color too. Which engine do you have?
Earle