1990 pontiac Bonneville heater problem..

What would cause the heater fan to run constantly in a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville.The only way to stop the fan is to pull the fuse.A friend had a back yard mechanic work on the car because it would not start.He said he had to repair the ground strap and now the heater fan will not shut off. He said he replaced a fan relay with no success.He also offered to buy the car from her for $800.00 .This is her spare auto but is in really good condition..Any one know what the problem might be..TIA..Jimmy

Reply to
James DeBord

It is most likely the blower motor controller. I have the same problem with my 92 Bonneville. The controller is located under the maxifuse/relay bank which is under the hood on the firewall. Remove the maxifuse/relay bank and then remove the three 7MM screws that hold it in. It is a large semiconductor controller mounted on a 4 inch aluminum finned heat sink that is lowered into the stream of air that passes through the heater plenum.

The salvage yard didn't have one and told me the cost at GM is $400 . . !!!

I am trying to find one on-line as we speak. If you need pictures I have them . . .

Bob

James DeBord wrote:

Reply to
misterfixit

Probably the way it was designed to work.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

Is it an SSE? The SSE model's had electronic climate controls. If that is the case, there could be something wrong with the controller box itself. By the way, if the car is in good shape with no other mechanical problems, and has low miles, don't sell it for $800. Those cars last forever, as long as you take care of them.

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
tsemi

Hay Guys,My friend called me today and asked me to thank you for your advice..The controller box was replaced and the fan is now working as it should..Jimmy

tsemi wrote:

Reply to
tsemi

From the OPs post on the 15th, that's obvious not the case.