possible starting problems??

i have a 94 grand prix(3.4) and the car has started (a few times so far)a possible problem,after a few times of turning the car off and restarting the engine,the car acts for the better word like a sluggish starter,this only has happened after the car ran for an hour or more at higher speeds(highway driving),turn the car and the engine will turn over once,then stop,then a few more times very sluggish,then perhaps a few more times slowly,then turn over fast and start,or after a few minutes after the sluggish no starts,it will turn over regular and start,the battery is fully charged and the lights do not dim during this mishap.this only seems to happen after excessive speed and time,not on short or city driving trips. and it so far o\is not persistant enough to troubleshoot yet. bob

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Well most sluggish starts are due to the starter going bad. Do a current draw on it to check it out. Heat will definitely make the starter harder to turn over than when it is cold.

Reply to
Les Benn

at first this appeared to be the syptoms,but now it's doing it more frequent and as i had my turn it over in it's sluggishness,the hot cable did not appear to be getting hot like a backfeed by the starter,and upon in it's not starting and sluggish state ,i put a battery charger /quick start on it and it turned right over,then right after the car started on it's own a few more times no problem. bad cell in battery maybe,it's around 4 to 5 years old now.????? any ideas???

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

I would get the battery checked out, if I were you.

Reply to
80 Knight

Definitely a 4 year old battery is probably close to being dead anyways. I would still check the starter just to be sure that the battery is the only thing wrong with it.

with a voltmeter a good battery should read about 12.5 volts with the engine off and no current draw on it. Most auto parts stores will do a starter test for you for free to check the current draw on it.

Reply to
Les Benn

Les Benn wrote:

and poor connections will often act worse when hot. I've seen a loose block-ground do this, e.g., GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh