1995 TranSport AC question

Hi:

I have a 1995 Pontiac TranSport with 108,000 miles. It runs well but the AC just stopped working.

I put a gauge in the low pressure side and I had about 65 pounds of pressure.

After checking a few things and considering that the R134a refrig. is reasonable, I bled the system down to just about one pound of pressure and started the engine.

The pressure again went way up to again about 65 pounds.

I am assuming a blockage someplace and when the compressor kicks in it compresses a small amount of "gas" in a confined space to a very high pressure.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an auto technician but given the age of the vehicle and the fact that I just recently spent $1400.00 on our other car, I would really like to be able to solve this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Glenn

Reply to
<glenan

What do you mean by reasonable?

You haven't given enough information to even have made a S W A G. There are a minimum of 8 measurements that you need to diagnose a system with any accuracy. Mainly pressures and temperatures of all of the main components of any system. Some people say that it's not rocket science and they may be right, but making the repairs to any refrigeration system correctly takes a small amount of math, a fair amount of experience, and much understanding of how different pressures and temperatures work together or against each other.

I recommend at least having the a/c system diagnosed and then deciding wether you want to make the repairs yourself or not.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to